Another Casing Question

Brian Merz

TVWBB Member
I made some brats from Charcuterie and the were the best I ever had, my family loved them. My concern is that my casings were rubbery and had no snap. I soaked them for about 2hours in warm water, flushed them out and stuffed them. The uncooked brats sat in the fridge over night until I grilled indirect on a HOT kettle the next day. My question is there anything I can do different or is the bulk pack from Bass Pro just poopy casings. Would I get better quality by ordering online or build a smaller fire and do a reverse sear?

Brian,

What type of casing did you buy? Natural vs collagen, cellulose, etc.? Natural (sheep or hog intestine)yield a very good finished product. I would avoid the artifical variety.

Paul

I'm wondering the type too. However, if natural soak longer: Rinse very well inside and out. Put in a container and cover with tepid (90?) water then place in the fridge. Soak overnight.

The casings are natural hog packed in salt from Bass Pro. I will try soaking longer and see what happens. Could there realy be a differance in brands of natural hog casings?

Not that I've ever noticed.

Often, ime, casing issues are due to inadequate soaking. Many written procedures specify too short a time.

Back