Rattlesnake in Mojo

Jim Langford

TVWBB Fan
Found this one while looking for mojo recipes. Now, where to get a fresh rattlesnake...?

Grilled Rattlesnake with Mojo Criollo

Mojo Criollo
(Makes 1 cup)

1/3 cup olive oil
6 to 8 cloves garlic, thinly sliced or minced
2/3 cup fresh sour orange juice or lime juice
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

After cutting off its head and skinning and gutting it, marinate
the snake in Mojo Criollo, (a Cuban marinating sauce consisting of
lots of garlic and sour orange juice). Allow it to marinate for a
couple of hours, then grill it.

Well, Jim, you might have to import it from Texas! Any Texan members on the VWB board?

Rattlesnake might be good if you can't find any poultry, pork, beef, lamb, veal, sausage, seafood, or real game........but the Mojo sounds good. Does rattlesnake taste like chicken????

All the best,
Rita

That has got to be the most unusual "Cuban" recipe I've heard. I've only remember having mojo on pork and yuca (don't know if there's an English translation). I definitely don't remember rattlesnake on the menu at my house. Maybe my parents tried to pass it off as chicken?

There was a wild game festival near here a few weeks ago. An article I read about it afterwards said that rattlesnake was the best food there. I've never tried it, but they sure made it sound good. Couple that with mojo, it might be tasty!

How would you serve that? I imagine on Cuban bread with a piece of cactus on the side.

--Mickey

I've killed, cleaned, and eaten a rattler. Still have the skin. It was probably 20 years ago. Very white, delicate meat. And from what I remember, yeah, it tastes like chicken. /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Back