Bone Suckin' Sauce Clone

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by Jim Babek.

-----------
Jim wrote, "This is pretty close to the regular sauce. You can make it hotter with more red pepper. Actually I recommend starting with less pepper than the recipe calls for and adding in to your taste.

"I used onion powder instead of chopped due to convenience, consistency and a less profound onion smell and taste."

Close to the Bone Suckin' Sauce
  • 1 cup ketchup
  • 1 cup water (more or less for consistency)
  • 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
  • 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (more or less to taste)
  • 2 teaspoons dry mustard
  • 2 Tablespoons light brown sugar
  • 2 Tablespoons molasses
  • < 1/8 teaspoon liquid smoke

Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.

Thanks Chris. Apologies to everyone regarding deleting the recipe, I meant to edit it and must have deleted it instead.

The change I made is to cut the water in half. I found that the original recipe came out too watery and with less water it is better for ribs. If using on pulled pork then I leave with the one cup water.

Here are the ingredients from the label:

Tomato Paste, Apple Cider Vinegar, Honey, Molasses, Mustard, Horseradish, Lemon Juice, Onions, Garlic, Peppers, Natural Hickory Smoke Flavor, Natural Spices, Salt & Xanthan Gum (A Natural Thickener).

Have not tried any combinations, but it is probably something like:

16 oz. tomato paste
8 oz. cider vinegar
1/4 c. honey
1/8 c. molasses
3 tbls. horseradish
2 tbls. lemon juice
2 tbls. chopped onion
2 tbls. chopped garlic
2 tbls. crushed red pepper
1 tsp. liquid smoke
salt and pepper to taste.

In working up my version Ive tried many different variations and settled on the one posted.

tomato paste...it left the sauce with a somewhat raw taste since I didnt cook it for hours.

minced onion and garlic...although the real thing does have onion in it I always seemed to get a raw onion taste which I didnt like so I settled on onion and garlic powder. May try dried onion flakes.

color...the sauce does come out lighter than the real thing but if youre hung up on this then just add browning sauce to get it the right color.

Looking at Jays recipe seems to be like how I started. For me the tomato paste (which lends a slight tart quality) along with the cider vinegar, horseradish and lemon juice would give the sauce too much tang.

JMO

Has anyone had any good results with this recipe? I tried it a few times and wasn’t too happy.
I gave up trying to clone it. But Ill post a variation I came while trying.
-Joe

Not really the original, but very close.
Seems that Jay left out the mustard in his version. but otherwise pretty close.
Stay tuned for some more refinements. I have a batch on simmer with some more modifications
icon_eek.gif

i.e. the onions and garlic should first be cooked in 1oz. of olive oil and a dash of salt until transparent, then add 1/2 of a finelly chopped sweet red pepper and cook until soft.

Too much tomato paste, substitute, 13oz. tomato paste and 13oz.tomato sauce.
Too much horse radish, cut it down to 1 tbls.
Too much cider vinegar, cut it down to 1 cup and add 1/4 cup of water
Too much red pepper, cut it down to 1 tbls. or, just add to taste. "EASY ON THAT" it makes it hot with the cooking.
Use 4 tbls. lemon juice
Add 2 tbls. dried mustard powder and mix well (Missing item in Jay's recipe)
If you smoke your meat first use 1tsp.liquid smoke if not use 2.
Simmer uncovered on low heat for 1 hour stirring every 15 min. Cover and simmer for another hour, stirring ebery 15 min.

Check flavour, add more heat if you wish with more red peper to taste.

Finally, place the sauce in a blender and run on high until you get a smoothe creamy sauce. You can store refigerated in sterilized Mason jars for about 2 weeks. Just pour it in hot and get a good seal.
Because of the high sugar content place the sauce on your ribs or other recipes in the last 1/2 hour on the BBQ, or smoker, and keep an eye on it, so it does not burn. ENJOY!

A full comprehensive recipe will be published as soon as I get the final measurements down pat, but this should be as close as you can get!

Smoke on!
ENJOY!

I've used this... we've found it to our liking...

1 cup ketchup
1/2 apple or cranapple juice
2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (more or less to taste)
2 teaspoons dry mustard
2 Tablespoons light brown sugar
2 Tablespoons molasses
1/8 teaspoon liquid smoke
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
2 Tablespoons honey

Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes

Thank's Vin, I will make sure to try that one, seems like less work and about the same ingredients. Everyone has a rib sauce recipe they enjoy so keep with yours if you dont want to experiment, or else try this one. It has been refined from the bone suckin'sauce ingredients,to what I call, Rib suckin' sauce.
Worked great on the last racks. Also I started with a rub on the ribs before smoking. I might even post the rub recipe one day
icon_eek.gif

<span class="ev_code_RED">RSS (Rib Suckin' Sauce)</span>

- 8 oz. tomato paste
- 13 oz. tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 tbls. mild horse radish
- 2 tbls. lemon juice
- 6 tbls. finely chopped onion
- 4 tbls. finely chopped garlic
- 1 tsp. red pepper (add to taste)
- 2 tbls. Mustard powder
- 3 whole cloves
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. liquid hickory smoke
- Salt to taste.
You can use this recipe on pork ribs, pork roast, pork chops or pulled pork, also seems to work good on chicken. If you smoke your meat properly first, then heaven has a place for you, so here we go!

-First add 2 oz. of olive oil to your cooking pot set at medium heat.
-Add the onions and garlic with about 2 pinches of salt.
-Cook on medium heat until the onions and garlic are translucent stirring constantly.
-Add the tomato paste and tomato sauce, stir, stir, stir to a low simmer.
-Now add the rest of the ingredients.
-Simmer on low heat with the lid off for about 30 min. stirring every 5 minutes.
-Slow cook the sauce on low heat, covered, for another 30min.and stir every 10 min.
-Go fishing, and take out the cloves. Good luck! You have to get them all out.

You now have RSS , relax, take break.
At this point, you are ready to have a Jack Daniels, so go for it!
Back to basics, put the hot RSS in a blender (with the lid on) and run on high to get a smooth sauce, it’s done! Baste it on your meat in the last 30 min. of cooking and watch it, because the high sugar content will burn if you don’t keep an eye on it.
KEEP IT MOIST!
Ya, I, know, you may have left over sauce unless your doing at least 2 big racks, so hey! Cut the recipe in half if you have only 1 rack, or, while the coals are still hot add some more charcoal, and, put a chicken on. Try the sauce with it. Same process.
That’s it, ENJOY!

wsmsmile8gm.gif
OK so I will not keep you in suspence, here's the whole 9 yards.

Basic Rub
1 tbls. Paprika
1 tbls. salt
1 tbls. brown sugar
1 tablespoons mustard powder
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. granulated garlic
1/2 tsp. cayenne powder

Here's the Trick!
Peel off the back membrane of the ribs.
Spray the ribs on both sides with 50/50 apple juice and Jack Daniel’s
Then sprinkle some rub on both sides. Place them in the BBQ or smoker with some hard wood smoking at about 275F for 2 hours. I use an ash and hickory mixture. You can use what you want, cherry, apple, oak etc.
Keep spraying the ribs with the apple and Jack every 1/2 hour so they keep moist. That’s why I don’t use a water pan. After about 2 hours, they will be ready for the RSS sauce. Place them on the slow end of the coals, or, if you don’t spread your coals to get high and low heat that would be somewhere off the side. Now mop some RSS on both sides, cook some more and keep it moist. They are done when you pick them up in the middle and they just crack without falling off the bone. Spread some more RSS on top and serve.

This was my first attempt at homemade sauce. It was a huge hit w/the fam. Also, I don't know how much of a difference it makes, but I didn't have dry mustard so I put in the mustard from the refrig. I am making another batch right now. Thanks for the recipe.

Glad you liked it
icon_wink.gif

At least I think you tried my version, the RSS sauce. There have been a few postings on this thread, with different versions. Which ever one you enjoyed it's a keeper!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Dont be shy to post a rating of the sauce.
And, the mustard powder or prepared mustard from the fridge dont make a whole lot of difference, maybe the prepared mustard adds a bit more vinegary flavour, but, unless your taste buds run like a fine tuned Mustang Cobra, it really dont matter much.
Now I have to crack out the Jack and go pick the old Banjo. I have another batch brewing
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I tried the February 19, 2008 version of the Rib Suckin Sauce above and IMO it has too much tomato taste and the cinnamon does not belong in a Bone Suckin clone. I may try it again with without the tomato paste and the cinnamon or I might just decide $8 a jar is not unreasonable.

Thank for the effort to decode the BSS recipe.

Larry

Back