1st disappointment with Weber customer service

Mike Willis

TVWBB All-Star
I just got off the phone with Weber. I was asking about a replacement lid for my SJP. The very first time I used it, I hung the lid on the side of the kettle and a gust of wind kicked up and blew it off. I got a nice chip in the porcelain lid - damn!

I just noticed when I was cleaning all of my Webers that the chip is starting to get a rust spot in it. I called Weber, explained what happened, and the lady quoted me a replacement price for the lid at $43.70! I told her I could buy a whole new unit for $49.99. That didn't impress her....

So I guess I'll be sanding and painting the lid, while keeping my eyes peeled for a new SJP. I have two chances of finding one: slim and none. I'll check my local Ace first, then any other Ace stores I go by.

Wish me luck....

i may be mis-understanding you here but i would not sand the entire lid and paint it....just do some touch up....heck i have a chip in my OTG lid and it is still going strong for 8+ yrs

Actually, I was just going to sand the rusty part of the chip, not even the whole chip, then paint the chip with high heat black paint (glossy if I can find it). I guess I did make it sound misleading! BTW, where in SWMO are you? I have friends in Granby, and I used to spend my summers in Eminence (more south-central MO).

Mike, I have found the Weber customer service bend over backwards good. I'm sorry to hear about your SJP. That being said, your problem was not caused by Weber. That's where I see them step in and do the right thing.

What kind of resolution were you seeking?

I know it wasn't caused by Weber. I kinda figured "act of God" with the wind gust. I was hoping for a free replacement (unlikely) or a REASONABLE price on a replacement (as SJPs are getting scarce). When she quoted me $43.70 for a new lid, I said "thank you" and hung up. Just for fun, I went to the local Ace hardware and they had an assembled one on the floor for $39.99. Well, I can't afford either at the moment, so touch up paint will be the preferred action for me. I just though it was worth the call. The disappointment I refer to was the cost of the replacement, not the fact that I wasn't offered a free one. After all, it is a 2005 and I've gotten some good use out of it.

Lid alone more than a whole new unit.... who'd a thunk it?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike Willis:
Actually, I was just going to sand the rusty part of the chip, not even the whole chip, then paint the chip with high heat black paint (glossy if I can find it). I guess I did make it sound misleading! BTW, where in SWMO are you? I have friends in Granby, and I used to spend my summers in Eminence (more south-central MO). </div></BLOCKQUOTE> I live in webb city, i have some relatives in granby myself!

Why replace it?

You can fix the chip and move on. I don't see why the whole thing is bad now?

Sorry if I am just slow - its kind of a Monday today.
icon_smile.gif

Don't get me wrong Cameron, the whole thing isn't bad. Once I find a small can of that porcelain paint I read about in another thread my problem (rust in the center of the chip) will be history
icon_biggrin.gif

Yep, buff the rust off. Prime it with high temp, then paint it with high temp would be my guess. It'l buff out
icon_wink.gif

Mike
I understand your frustration with the price variance.
You have to look at the prices in context.
The price of a Recommended Retail (RR)price of the SJP was a higher than $49.99 and buying a floor model is generally at a 30% discount it is the store owner price not Weber's RR price. With all spare parts there are additional costs such as; additional packaging and storage costs, the cost of inventory holding, additional administration and handling costs, additional shipping costs and profit as a percentage of costs. They also need to cover the costs of dead inventory. When you add all these and other costs into the equation you see the parts cost spiral upwards. This is the same as car OEM parts and most other OEM parts.
With a lot of things aftermarket parts are introduced at a lower quality/cost which in turn drives up the OEM parts costs, when the consumer makes a conscious decision to buy cheaper and drive price down at the front end the back end costs escalate.
The end user has the advantage of having spare available for a minimum of 10 years after the model goes out of production, I don’t know about in North America but in Australia this is mandated in consumer rights.

If you invest your money you want a return of at least 10%, To get a return of 10% the profit has to be higher to offset costs. Someone needs to pay to get your return.

Regards

Yeah the replacement part is not as cheap as you would like, ok...that should be no surprise...at least you can get it if you want...many other 'que vendors don't even offer replacement parts.

Should have said it was like that when you opened the box, they would have sent you a new one for free...
icon_rolleyes.gif

The fact of the matter is that you can pick up used SJs on craigslist for as low as $5-$10.

That chip won't bother your food, use it and enjoy it, and chalk up the wind gust as an education...Did your cook come out ok?
wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Alan D:
...Did your cook come out ok?
wsmsmile8gm.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, when you use a Weber, it always comes out OK
icon_biggrin.gif

Back