Sausage making supplies

Werner

TVWBB Member
Anyone have recommendations or places they order from for sausage making stuff. Prague powder, casings, etc?

Other supplies like equipment such as grinders/stuffers? I have the attachemtn for the kitchenaid but was considering a hand cranked machine.

For casings, natural or the collagen ones?

Just curious and thanks.

butcher packer has a nice selection and decent prices.

I buy a lot of my stuff at sausage maker (sausagemaker.com) but only because they are local and the guy in the showroom typically throws me a discount which makes things comparable to what I can find online.

I highly recommend getting a 5 lb crank stuffer. It so much easier and I can make perfect sausage with it every time.

Natural casings are pretty easy to work with. They typically come packed in salt and have a really long shelf life. Buy in bulk.

Thanks....looks like sausagemaker has a good selection of stuff and you are right, the prices do seem reasonable

I use butcher & packer, also.

I bought my 5lb. sausage stuffer from Northern Tool. From what I recall when I bought mine, the 5 pound stuffers all look about the same. Probably all made in the same factory.

Have fun.

Ron

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:
Natural casings are pretty easy to work with. They typically come packed in salt and have a really long shelf life. Buy in bulk. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I too just made my first sausage this week and found that it was much easier than I expected.

Question about the casings though, I bought them from a local butcher, packed in salt. I made the mistake of putting them all in water, and am wondering how long you think they will last in the water?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Question about the casings though, I bought them from a local butcher, packed in salt. I made the mistake of putting them all in water, and am wondering how long you think they will last in the water? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would assume that once they are rinsed they become perishable like any other animal part, and will last a week or so in the fridge.

Here's my question: can the rinsed casings be patted dry and packed back into salt?

Your right on the money. Pat them dry and repack in salt (non-iodized) and refrigerate and they will be good for up to a year.

Back