Tomatillos

Bryan S

TVWBB Olympian
OK, Need some help here. Where I live should be enough for you. I need to get some of these and I know very little about them. Might have something to do with never seeing them here in Amish Town.
icon_frown.gif
That said, I'm guessing there's a good season and a bad one just like Tomatoes? Here in Amish town I myself would never think about buying a Tomato from the grocery store in March. How can you tell good ones/ripe ready to eat, from bad ones, green not ready to eat, I have no idea? Kind of like green tomatoes, the variety, not green tomatoes (not ripe) that turn red. Also where to look for them, a Spanish store? A Mexican grocery here is a stretch, but I'll look for one. Asian and Spanish stores, are plenty here. TIA.

Bryan,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> How can you tell good ones/ripe ready to eat, from bad ones, green not ready to eat </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Look for husks that are fresh-looking, dry but soft to the touch; pale-colored, green to brown; and tightly filled with fruit. Some husks may have been forced open, an indication of robust growth, not quality. The fruit itself should be light green and firm without blemishes. A yellow or purple blush indicates over-maturity for most uses though some cooks prefer the sweeter flavor of fully ripe fruit. (Whole Foods)

How do you plan to use them? Can you substitute canned for fresh? The canned may be easier to find in your area. I don't know if the 'Spanish' stores would carry tomatillos as they are essentially a Central American/Mexican product used primarily in making salsa verde (green sauce) and other Mexican dishes. Mail order is always an option. From what I've heard from TX A&M (no Aggie jokes), if you can grow tomatoes, you can grow tomatillos. The season normally runs from May to November unless you can find fresh that have been imported from south of the border (not likely in your area).
Want to try your hand at growing them? Seeds
Don't want to grow them? Order canned here.

Bryan,

IMO, tomatillos with brownish husks and bright green fruit are the best. They're not like a tomato in that the ones you find in the store in winter will not be inferior to those in the summer (winter tomatillos, like most winter tomatoes, come from Mexico...at least around here). I always puree them for salsa, and just haven't seen a big difference by season.

Ditto. I like bright green fruit and brown husks, split or not. They are pretty much always available here too.

Firm is operative; skip any that are soft.

I usually pan roast them or blacken them on the grill for salsas. But I also like them chunked and mixed with chunks of ripe reds, greens and yellows as the base for a sauce for grilled chicken and pasta.

Ok Guys thanks so much for all the info. I want them to make Pork Butt Chili Verde with Sopes. I was hoping for fresh ones but canned might have to do for now. No luck finding either one today. I was hoping to find some for the weekend to make the chili. I have a few International Grocery stores to check out yet, so there's still a chance. Many thanks again.
icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:

Firm is operative; skip any that are soft.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
OK here's the skinny. I found "fresh" ones in some stores here.
icon_rolleyes.gif
My 2 choices are these. Brown very dry husks (like onion paper) with soft fruit. Or green husks dry but not crumbly, with firm fruit.
I say the firm fruit ones with green husks, but you tell me?
I just wish I could find canned ones here, because I know they would be better than the so called fresh ones I have found. Canned are usually canned at the peak of ripeness so.....

Here in northern NJ, fresh tomatillos can be found in any farmer's market of which there are many. Salsa Verde is a staple in my fridge. I'm a big fan of Steve Raichlen's Salsa Verde recipe from 'How to Grill'.

1 lb. fresh tomatillos
1/2 medium onion
3 garlic cloves
3 to 5 jalapeno peppers
1/4 cup fresh cilantro
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 to 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock or water (I often omit the stock)

I char the tomatillos, onion, garlic and jalapenos on the grill and then throw everything in a blender and do a course puree.
Great on pretty much everything (beef, chicken, pork, eggs, salmon...)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Or green husks dry but not crumbly, with firm fruit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Bingo!

Checked the store the other day and they still had the soft ones out. Just got home with some nice firm ones with dry brown husks but not paper dry crumble apart husks like the soft ones had out before. Got me some butt, and the hatch chilis are thawing out. I'm going to roast them up (broiler prob) and make some Pork Butt Chili Verde. Thanks for all your help Guys.
icon_cool.gif

Small story about Amish town. So I'm at the self check out @ Giant and can't find the Tomatillos on the Produce menu. Scrolled through it all and the girl comes over (she's been there a couple years) right when I pushed the advanced search key. Says to me whacha looking for, Tomatillos I say, never heard of them, I laughed.
icon_smile.gif
Now if I just could find a bag of Masa.
icon_frown.gif
We got great Hams though.
icon_biggrin.gif

This is what I'm going off of as my inspiration. As you know I can't follow a recipe, I just use them as guides. Bryan don't do wine so you know that's not going in there. Vinegar is going to be a no show also. Might use some white wine vinegar from Morea, not sure. Way too much cumin for me, got some Mexican Oregeno from Sweet Freedom. Thoughts anyone? The way he made the sopes was pretty neat. Try and catch this episode if you can.

Pork Butt Chili Verde & Sopes

Recipe courtesy Guy Fieri, 2008

4 pounds pork butt, cut into 1-inch cubes, trimmed of fat.
4 yellow onions, chopped
4 Anaheim chiles
2 jalapeno, minced
4 tablespoons garlic, chopped
1 pound tomatillos, husk removed
1/2 cup white wine
1/4 cup white vinegar
1 cup chicken stock
2 tablespoons ground oregano
2 tablespoons ground cumin
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
In a medium Dutch oven, heat the oil, add the onion, peppers and garlic. Saute until translucent, do not brown. Remove and set mixture aside.
Lightly grill the tomatillos on open flame until lightly charred. Remove from heat, place in bowl and cover with plastic wrap to keep warm for 20 minutes.
Add pork butt to Dutch oven and cook over high heat until browned on all sides
Add the onion-pepper mixture and tomatillos to the pork. Mix thoroughly and then deglaze with white wine and vinegar. Let reduce for 5 minutes, then add chicken stock, oregano, cumin, salt and pepper.
Let simmer for 1 hour.

Sopes

1 1/2 cups masa harina
1 cup water

Mix the masa and water together into a smooth consistency for about 3 to 5 minutes. If working in large amounts cover bowl with a damp towel to keep from drying out.
Take a piece of the dough about the side of a cue ball, and roll into a firm ball. In a tortilla press or with a hard flat book or cutting board, line with 2 pieces of plastic. Place masa ball in the middle and apply pressure until ball pushes out to 4 to 5-inch diameter. (if edges of patty are cracked deeply the dough maybe too dry or if the patty does not remove from the plastic easily the dough maybe too moist.)
Heat a cast iron pan to very hot. Place masa patty on pan without any oil, brown on both sides, approximately 1 minute on each side. Remove and let cool.
While still warm, remove the center of the dough, and form the edges up, making a hollow tart like shell.
Heat 1-inch of canola oil to 350 degrees F. Add sope shells to oil and cook on both sides until crispy and golden brown. Hold warm for service

Back