Greek Coney Dog Sauce

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by Kevin Taylor on 9/10/2001.

-------------
This is a classic Greek coney dog sauce. I have travelled and eaten more coney dogs than anyone I know and this is hands down the best recipe I have ever come across. It was given to me by an old Greek in Michigan.

Oh yes...you DO need that much lard!!

Original Greek Coney Sauce

CATEGORY(S):
Sauces

INGREDIENTS:
1 pound Ground beef
1 cup Shortening
1 medium Onion(s), diced
1/3 cup Chili powder
2 teaspoons Paprika
1 teaspoon Black pepper, coarsely ground
1 teaspoon Garlic powder
1 teaspoon Cumin powder
1 teaspoon Allspice
1 teaspoon Basil, dried
1 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Oregano, dried

PREPARATION (Skip this part when using brisket)
To get the right consistency, cover the meat with water and soak, in the fridge, for 2 hours. Then take a fork and break up any remaining chunks. Drain the water and go on to browning. You will have some water while browning but it will slowly steam off.

Brown beef, onion and shortening.

Add remaining ingredients.

Simmer for 2 hours. You may have to add some water.

This freezes well.

This has been my go to coney sauce for years. Has anyone done the simmer step in the slow cooker? I am going to give it a shot. My plan is to brown the beef, cook the onions, add all of the spices and cook until fragant, then add everyting to the slow cooker with 1/2 cup of beef stock and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours.

I think that looks like the recipe that “Coney Island” down on Michigan Avenue here in Kalamazoo! And, YES you are right, you DO need that much lard!
I don’t see any reason why the crock pot would not be a perfect way for a two or three hour simmer. I have not made that in years.

Back