storing brine

Cory Musser

TVWBB Fan
Can a simple water, salt and sugar brine be stored without refrigeration? I was wanting to make some up and store for when I want to use it.

You probably could, but, since it will need to be chilled before use, you might as well wait until you need it and just mix it up then-- only takes less than a minute to dissolve salt and sugar.

Yes, you could do it but to be on the safe side you'd want to pour it into sterilized containers. You'd also be storing a lot of water--kind of takes up a bit of space.

What you can do if you wish: Make a modified simple syrup and store the syrup. Then you need only to measure out the syrup, mix with water and you're good to go.

Assuming for the moment that you use equal parts sugar and salt (whatever ratio is fine) and that you use normally, say, 1/4 cup of salt/quart of water for your brine, you could mix your salt and sugar together in a pot--let's say 2 cups of each--then add an equal amount of water (in this case 4 cups), bring to a boil and stir till completely dissolved. Cool, store ina clean container. 1/2 cup of this syrup added to a quart of water would equal the 1/4 c salt/qt water ratio, but you could make it stronger or weaker, as you wish.

Thanks for the replies. Just thought it might be a time saver if I'm in a hurry. You're right though Doug it doesn't take long to make. Just wondered in case I decide to do it.

To save just a few secs, you could pre-measure the salt and sugar, place in a Ziploc bag or Rubbermaid container, and stash in the pantry. When ready to make the brine, just dump the contents into a container, add the appropriate amount of water, and stir.

Back