Electric Knife?

ChrisK

Anybody have a recommendation for a good electric knife? Had the chance to stick my chest out a little with a nice smoked bird on Thanksgiving, but was embarrassed with a pathetic electric knife. Will need a new one for Xmas time!

save your money and get a nice slicing knife. I switched and I'm not looking back.

I use a small forschner boning knife to take the breasts off whole, then slice them on a board with the slicer. A spatula helps to transfer the sliced breasts to the platter. Scatter some thigh meat around the breasts and artfully lay out the drums and wings, and wait for the praise
icon_wink.gif
works everytime
icon_biggrin.gif

Hey j, I use a utility knife to carve the breast off for slicing, but I can see how a boning knife would make it easier. Is yours like this one?
thanks!
Sorry for the hijack, but might benefit others as well as the OP.

Hey, Chris. I've got this one and use it quite often. Having said that, I have this on my Christmas list and as J said probably wont look back should Santa bring it to me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Is yours like this one? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

no, its this one:

http://www.accuratesharp.com/s...m/shopexd.asp?id=434

I do have a flexible boning knife exactly like the one you posted but I don't use it for this application. The flex is nice to get the breast off closer to the bone, but it can sometimes work against you. I now work with the shorter, stiffer blade and don't worry if I leave some meat on the bone.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Having said that, I have this on my Christmas list and as J said probably wont look back should Santa bring it to me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

good choice Don. I impulsively bought the 14" version of the dexter russell and I can't find an edge guard for it nor does it fit in my knife roll so I grumble every time I have to travel with it.

I actually sliced the turkeys this year with the little boning knife linked above. It was sharp enough so I used it.

One other key to taking the breasts off before slicing, is that if you're a real pro, you can serve each slice with a ribbon of skin still on it.

I've heard good things about the cordless Black & Decker models, but I've never used one. My hand me down model from 1856 is pretty bad, so I'm all ears.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> no, its this one: </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks j! In case anyone wants to order, here is the Amazon link for this knife that provides a "cut" to TVWB (heh heh).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Don Cash:
Hey, Chris. I've got this one and use it quite often. Having said that, I have this on my Christmas list and as J said probably wont look back should Santa bring it to me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just picked up the Victorinox Granton beastie myself, and used it over the weekend to slice bacon. I was truly wowed. I don't believe a deli slicer could have done any better.

Actually, this post probably belongs in the "Kitchen Equipment & Gadgets forum" - until then....

My grandparents had an old G.E. unit that really busted through lots of meat in short order. It actually had a piece of hardened (carbide?) metal embedded in the edge of each of the two blades. Don't know if anybody makes new ones like that or not (like almost everything else, they've probably gotten cheaper, but not necessarily BETTER.) Some of the new ones have cords so short that you'll need an extension cord to make them useful.

If you do not mind the ugly green color, the Rapala Electric Fish Fillet system actually works pretty good - my friend has one, and it has seemed to hold-up over the past few years.

I also prefer a sharp carving knife set - I've heard good things about the hollow-ground carvers (with hollowed-out depressions in the flat sides of the blade), but have not used one myself.

I have a Black& Decker that has served me well for a number of years. Bought it on the recommendation of Cook's Illustrated. But I just noted the latest tests resulted in a "not recommended" for the tested B&D model. In sum, suppose I am not much help. Sorry........

I have used a Krups electric knife in the past. This year I used a small chef's knife to carve the turkey and a 10" slicer for the white meat. I like the normal knives better, they give me more control and better results.

Back