Looking for Italian Chicken/Turkey Sausage recipe

Jon Des.

TVWBB Gold Member
I'm planning to try a deep dish pizza in the near future, and was hoping to make my own bulk sausage out of ground turkey or chicken. Any suggestions? Or would I be OK to just follow a standard sausage recipe and scale it down to 1 pound of meat? Thanks!

You can use a scaled down recipe or you can do your own.

I use thighs* for chicken sausage because they are more flavorful. If you'd prefer to use breasts, add 1 tablespoon oil per pound of breast meat to your mix.

For a simple sausage:

2 lbs boneless chicken thighs, ground
1 tbls salt
1 tbls paprika
1 tsp rubbed sage
1.5 tsp oregano
.75 tsp marjoram
2 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp red pepper flakes

Optional: 2-3 tsp crushed fennel seed; 2 tbls oil if using chicken breast

Mix all the above together very well. Place into a Ziploc or other lidded container and fridge overnight. (Or stuff into casings and fridge or freeze.)

Form the mixture into patties or, if you prefer for pizza, small irregular meatballs or the like.

Kevin

* I include the skin, for texture. To do this, partially freeze the skin, separately. Chop well with a sharp knife then partially freeze again. Mince very finely. Fold into the sausage mix then mix to distribute well.

Great recipe Kevin, thank you. I just mixed it up and fried off a little chunk to taste for seasonings and it was just what I was looking for. I ended up generously doubling the crushed red and couldn't find (didn't feel like searching for) marjoram so I subbed dried basil. We've been doing our best to swap out beef and pork for poultry when possible, and with this recipe I doubt I'll ever buy bulk sausage in the future. Thanks again!

Back