Anyone have an electric pressure cooker?

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
I couldn't find a reference in my tvwbb search.
An article in today's paper has me curious.
Pros or cons welcomed.

I can remember some fine food from the stove type PC that my mom used years ago.

Thanks!

I bought a Fagor at a fund raising banquet, but only have done one cook on it so far. I can tell you it is well built and designed if that helps.

Paul

OK Bob, here goes:

I have both a Cuisinart 6-quart and 4- and 7-quart Kuhn-Rikon stovetop pressure cookers.

First, you won’t be hearing any stories of pressure cooker blowups when buying a digital or a second-generation stovetop. These have been engineered with many more safety features than the older cookers.

You’ll get sound arguments in favor both types of cookers. Personally, although I do like, and have nothing against, my Cuisinart for certain applications, I prefer the stovetops for several reasons:

1) It has been my experience that the total cook time from turning on the burner to the end of the pressure release is faster in the stovetops than the digitals.

2) There are 2 recommended methods of releasing the pressure: Quick-Release and Natural Release. With a stovetop cooker, you can put the cooker under cold running water and the pressure will be down in usually less than 1 minute. You can’t do that with a digital cooker—my Cuisinart digital requires you to turn the pressure valve and it takes some time for the pressure to go down. For a natural pressure release, you just turn off the heat for a stovetop and for the digital, the cooker automatically turns off and you either pull the plug or just wait until the pressure indicator drops. This also takes a little longer than the stovetop.

3) If one is prone to power outages and one has a gas stove—or a campfire— a stovetop cooker is the way to go. Quite a few people take their pressure cookers camping and for scouting.

4) Size. Digitals have a larger footprint than stovetop pressure cookers.

5) Induction cooking: The Kuhns can be used on induction burners. I don’t know about the Fagors, but I suspect that at least the newer ones might well be induction-friendly. I have an old induction burner that I sometimes use for my pressure cookers; I can set the timer, the cooker turns off, and will release the pressure naturally if I’m not around to check it. Almost as handy as a digital cooker, and portable too.

6) Favored brands of stovetop pressure cookers are Kuhn-Rikon and Fagor. Fagor and Cuisinart head the top of the list for digitals. Best buy for the Cuisinart has been at the Costco warehouse stores. I’ve had my Kuhns for over 25 years and am still very pleased with them. For me, the investment was worth it.

PROS FOR DIGITALS:
1) Digitals generally have a nonstick coating. Easy cleanup. Some folks have issues with using cookware with nonstick coatings. And foods can scorch in nonstick too. On the other hand, you rarely get scorching in a stovetop cooker if you follow some suggestions: Rather than bring the contents to a boil over the usual high heat, use medium or medium-high heat. Also, add tomato products and starchy ingredients last, putting them on top of all the other ingredients in the pot before sealing the lid. Bringing contents to a boil while stirring often before sealing the lid also helps. A heat diffuser under the pot also helps (I haven’t needed mine in a couple of years). You can also preheat ingredients (usually liquids) in the microwave before pouring into the cooker, but I’d say that generally these options are unnecessary. I’ve had scorches from time to time, but find them easy to remove after an overnight soak and a scrub with Barkeeper’s Friend.

2) Set-it-and-forget-it. Most people like their digital pressure cooker for this reason. Once you start the cooker you can abandon it; it will go through the cook cycle, a natural release, and then go into a Keep Warm cycle for several hours. Hands off. If you need a quick release, you’ll have to be there at the end of the cook time to activate THE quick-release button or valve.

EITHER TYPE OF PRESSURE COOKER:

Recipes: Apparently, digital cookers are designed to take the differences in pressure release and cookpot psi into account so that recipes written for pressure cookers in general will give fairly reliable results no matter which type of cooker you use. Also, you can use either type for cooking other things not under pressure.

Heat Selections: The digitals have several heat selections; on my Cusinart, I have a sauté selection but in my opinion, the heat level is too low, so I have to use the Browning setting.

Books: No matter which type of cooker you decide on, I highly recommend all of the pressure cooker books written by Lorna Sass, especially “Pressure Perfect.” Read every page of the first 21 pages or so. Among other things, they will help you convert your regular recipes to the pressure cooker. Her timing charts are excellent. In my opinion, she has a very good palate and her recipes are above average. Many recipes have variations that have several different meat options and/or change them into a completely different ethnic or flavor profile. She also has a pressure cooker cookbook for vegetarians.

You are welcome to check with me if you have any questions (best to email me personally as I sometimes get too busy to check in), or THIS GROUP can answer your questions; there are a lot of recipes in its Files section as well. Off-topic chat is allowed on this friendly group and it can veer off on a lot of other topics besides pressure cooking, so plan to use your Delete button, but it attracts a lot of generous and helpful members much like we find here.

If I think of anything else, I’ll add them to this thread.

Rita

P.S.1 - Size: All-Clad has a beautiful pressure cooker out now, but it is very pricey and has only a 4-quart capacity, meaning you'll only yield about 2 1/2 to 3 quarts at the very maximum. Since one can only fill a pressure cooker 2/3 full, sometimes only half for certain foods, and since food shrinks as it cooks, it would probably only deliver one meal for 2 or 3 people. You can cook less in a larger cooker, but not vice-versa. My preference would be 7 or 8 quarts, since many of the foods cooked in a pressure cooker can be frozen for another meal. The standard seems to be 6 quarts. If they come out with an 8-quart digital, I might consider a trade-up.

I'd suggest that you buy a well-known brand of cooker--companies that have been around for a long time. Remember, you might need a spare part now and then, and will be replacing gaskets from time to time.

No matter which style pressure cooker you choose, you will be happy with it.

Edit: 1/19/12: Added caution about spare parts.

Thanks for the feedback Paul and Rita!

Rita,
I appreciate your very thorough response, and links.
After a little surfing it does appear that the 'pressure purist' if you will, prefer the stovetop model.

Since we have an electric glass-top stove, and I'm kind of lazy, I'm leaning toward the electric.
And I like the fact that some, or maybe all, can be used as a slow cooker.

I'm due a Costco run and will see if they have any in stock.
I put these trips off since I always buy much more than is on my list.
icon_smile.gif

Bob, the Cuisinart does not have a control for slow cooking, but if I remember correctly, the Fagor 3-in-1, does. I'm not certain. Check the pressure cooker website I mentioned and you can get better information. They have the mauals for most pressure cooker in their Files. Those should also be helpful for you.

Paul, thanks for posting the recipe. I haven't come across that one and it sounds quite good.

Rita

Grandma had one of those old fashioned stove top pressure cookers. Don't remember exactly what she was cooking - something with cabbage in it. Grandma didn't have a big kitchen - cabbage and whatever all over the place.
Her gas oven also blew one time. She was on the phone with my Mom when it happened and calmly said "I have to go. Think my oven just blew up." Mom had me get in the car and go to Grandma's. Grandma OK. No fire. Guy next door worked for the gas company and he had already shut down her gas. Never forget though the oven door sticking out of the refrigerator door.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob Correll:
I couldn't find a reference in my tvwbb search.
An article in today's paper has me curious.
Pros or cons welcomed.

I can remember some fine food from the stove type PC that my mom used years ago.

Thanks! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bob, I too have fond memories of pinto beans and roast from a PC in my youth. I bought one for $99 at Sears. The wife turned her nose up at it (too much work compared to the microwave and oven).

As of now, it's on our 'err shelf of no return. Those were some good meals though.

Well, Mike -- the pressure cooker is not a gender-specific appliance, ya know.
icon_smile.gif

Why not pick up a copy of Lorna Sass's "Pressure Perfect" (your library probably carries it too) and show your Sweetie how it's done. It's less of a challenge than the WSM.

Rita

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">the pressure cooker is not a gender-specific appliance, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are gender specific appliances?

Ray

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">There are gender specific appliances?

Ray </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I didn't say that, Ray.
icon_wink.gif

Rita

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rita Y:
Well, Mike -- the pressure cooker is not a gender-specific appliance, ya know.
icon_smile.gif

Why not pick up a copy of Lorna Sass's "Pressure Perfect" (your library probably carries it too) and show your Sweetie how it's done. It's less of a challenge than the WSM.

Rita </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rita, I don't even know how to run a washing machine. Now if it breaks, I can fix it.

I'm more the Man / Fire / Meat guy.

Heck, I just found out how to use foil when I purchased my WSM. Please see my list of cooking equipment.
icon_biggrin.gif

[Quote from Mike] Rita, I don't even know how to run a washing machine. Now if it breaks, I can fix it.[/quote)

I hear you, Mike. You and my Jack are related?

My apologies about challenging you to learn the pressure cooker. I had in my mind a comment that Bob made that was quoted in one of your posts:

[quote from Bob]I can remember some fine food from the stove type PC that my mom used years ago.[/quote]

I see that you are a WSM man (Want Some Meat!, that is). Bob seems to be taking steps to remedy his nostalgia about the pressure-cooked fine food his mom used to make. Nowadays, I see as many men using a pressure cooker as ladies.

Bob, let me know if I can help.

Rita

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rita Y:
[Quote from Mike] Rita, I don't even know how to run a washing machine. Now if it breaks, I can fix it.[/quote)

I hear you, Mike. You and my Jack are related?

My apologies about challenging you to learn the pressure cooker. I had in my mind a comment that Bob made that was quoted in one of your posts:

[quote from Bob]I can remember some fine food from the stove type PC that my mom used years ago. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I see that you are a WSM man (Want Some Meat!, that is). Bob seems to be taking steps to remedy his nostalgia about the pressure-cooked fine food his mom used to make. Nowadays, I see as many men using a pressure cooker as ladies.

Bob, let me know if I can help.

Rita[/QUOTE]

Thanks Rita! I can see that Jack is as lucky to have you as I am to have Ann (AKA Pork Puller).
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Thanks Rita! I can see that Jack is as lucky to have you.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, he is...but it works both ways. I'm lucky to have Jack [AKA The Eater/ Critic]...for 52 years yet.
icon_smile.gif
I'm getting close to to getting him trained...but not quite yet. I'm really persistent...or either he is!

Obviously Ann is a keeper. I applaud her!

Rita
icon_smile.gif

Back