first backyard comp, suggestions

jeff davidson

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi,

I've judged about 15 contests and cooked once with a team but have never entered on my own. My 12 yo daughter and I are entering a backyard comp with kcbs rules and have to cook ribs, chicken, dessert and my choice. We arrive the day of the competition around 8am and chicken turn in is first at two pm. I'll have a wsm and a performer.

I've got ribs and chicken well-covered but would like suggestions on the other two categories. For chef's choice, I'm thinking about:

- buffalo chicken wings (chris's recipe with my mods), not sure if I should turn in another chicken dish
- smoked salmon dip, this is killer but not sure how it will be received
- smoked pork chops

for dessert:

- hot nut mix from this site
- banana foster
- I'd like to make bread pudding but I don't see how I can do it with the equipment I have

thoughts about my ideas? Any other suggestions?

tia,
jd

Oohh... The smoked salmon dip presented with (or on) those little triangles of toast would be a hands down winner in my book.

I judged an 'Anything But' competition a couple of weeks ago and the array of desserts was mind boggling. A couple that really stuck out in my mind was:
- A cupcake that had bits of broken up Oreos in it with a mini-Oreo stuck in the top. The neat part was that they put a full size Oreo on the bottom of the paper cup before putting the batter in. It was cool.
- A parfait that had a fudge brownie on the bottom, French silk pudding in the middle, and whipped cream on top. Mmm... It was 'winning' good.

Russ

The smoked salmon dip sounds like a winner...I think you need to share the recipe so we can test for ourselves...of course, to give you better direction towards winning your comp!
icon_wink.gif

folks, I just wanted to thank you for the suggestions. We ended up with a cheese cake and it worked well.

tim y, the basis of the fish dip recipe is in the "fish recipes" forum on this site. If you search for gordo or maybe gordy you should be able to find it. I like to use it for bluefish but it's been great for salmon too.

best,
jd

Back