Salo (Salted Smoked Pork Fat)

Salo isn't always smoked but one smokes it like bacon, at lower temps. It can be dry cured or brine cured, also like bacon.

So I would use a cure that does not include pink salt or tenderquick correct. From what I saw it was still white. So I could cold smoke it after the curing or brining. Same process as bacon? A week in the brine/cure then smoke until 150. I'm planning on making some for my buddy for christmas. I'll have to get my hands on some so I can see what it tastes like. As always Kevin you are a big help. Thanks.

I have found a recipe for "lardo". If I were to smoke the lardo would it then be close to "salo"? The "lardo" recipe calls for a brine and says that it needs to be brined for a minimum of three months. I might just make the "lardo" anyway. It's not like the fat is expensive.

It is hard to say whether it would be close to your friend's salo or not. Some but not salo is smoked; it is often dry cured but not always; some is aged but not all. Differences in approach change the results a bit so I can't really answer this, but you could try a few ways and see.

I don't think I have ever had brine-cured lardo (I've laways had dry-cured and that is the type I've made).

Use skin-on fatback. If at all possible don't buy commercial pork. Find heritage. So much better for something like this.

Bacon is not typically cold smoked. It is hot smoked but at the low end of the hot smoke range first, then temps are raised a bit, then a bit more. Yes, you would keep the finish internal ~145/150.

Kevin,
I've got some good starting point fo both salo and lardo. From what I have read and been told they are very similar, at least the varieties that aren't smoked. The only difference being the herbs used. I'm going to make one batch of each. I only have one more question. The salo recipe calls for a 6 to 8 day cure. The lardo calls for a 3 month cure. Why such a huge difference in curing time? The pictures that I have seen salo looks more like bacon that is not smoked. Lardo looks like all fat. Is that the reason behind the longer cure time? Thanks for the help. I'm going to have to start posting pictures.
icon_biggrin.gif

There is utterly no reason to cure lardo for 3 months. If that is the recipe you are looking at I would find one by an author with more of a clue. Meats need to cure based on their thickness. Meat will not become 'more cured' after 3 months. When curing is completed the meat is rinsed and either cooked in some way (smoked or not) or is aged. Lardo needs some hang time, usually 3 or 4 weeks. (It is typically dry cured, btw.) Salo can be aged, or not, depending on what type you are making.

I'm such a doofus. I have the complete book of pork at home. There has to be a lardo recipe in there. I can't believe I forgot about that book. Well, I try to remember to take pictures and I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks again.

Back