Chili Powder

Marc

TVWBB All-Star
While I am a big advocate of blending my own with a variety of chilies, I am currently without any stock and am not in a position to
restock at the moment. Consequently I'm wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a "commercial" or premixed chili powder?
Maybe one of the options from Penzeys ? Regular, Medium, or Hot? I like the heat but obviously want the flavors of the chili's to
come through. Thoughts?

Penzey's chili powder is pretty good. It's a solid, no salt, recipe and you can be assured they are using fresh ingredients. I can't recommend any mixes from the standard grocery stores. Even though the book "Smoke and Spice" recommends Gebhardt's brand of chili powder, I've never been a big fan.

Rusty, Thanks. I have not seen the Gebhardts brand in NE and I appreciate the ICS link. Hadn't stumbled across that.
The Ingredients in the "Chili Con Carne" mix sound good although I think I'd have to kick up the heat a bit.
Paul, the medium is what I was thinking of going with but saying something is "medium" is so relative.
Have you tried the hot? So many times a medium is a mild to my taste!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Have you tried the hot? So many times a medium is a mild to my taste! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No I haven't. Because 'you can add, but can't take away', I'd recommend the medium and at the same time, order some ground chipotle, arbol, or cayenne for heat.

Back