Summit 650 smoke box poor results

G

Just did first cook with new 650. chuck roll. smoked with lots of oak and mesquite chunks and chips. meat had little smoke flavor and no smoke ring at all.Smoke box produced lots of smoke but i think most of it is lost. the smoke box is right on the end and most of it leaks out that end and the back.
I was wondering if I put a small fan on the end blowing in the hole if it would blow a majority of the smoke across the food and out the other end. Thus giving me the smoke im looking for.
Any thoughts?

What do you mean by "lots", was the wood wet/soaked, and what did you have the smoker-burner set to? I have a 650 and have only had issues when I had the smoker-burner up too high or the wood was too dry.

lots was 3 full smoker boxes of soaked chunks
produced ample smoke i just think most of it is lost due to box location.

Jim
Have you considered the BBQ position relative to the wind/airflow?
How well was the meat oiled this can stop a lot of smoke penetration
Generally the smoker on the 650 works extremely efficiently and produces a good depth of smoke penetration.
Bear in mind it is a grill with a smoke attachment not a dedicated smoker. The design is to give you a smokey bbq taste for your meat no to smoke/low and slow it. That is why everyone has a WSM also.

Regards

Regards

I noticed the excess smoke coming out of mine also. Since the lid on mine slides side to side about 1/4" or more, here's what I do on my Summit Gold D. My box is on the left and I open the lid and slide the lid to the right as far as it will go to close up the big gap right beside the box. I use chunks in mine and do not soak. HTH

What setting did you have the smoker-box burner on? If you had it on high, it will set everything on fire. This usually isn't a problem, but I can see how much could escape and it would need to be refilled.

I recommend trying the smoker-burner on low/medium-low at the highest to prevent the entire box of wood from burning up so quickly.

Back