Help! Need Pork Butt Recipe!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan Bosch

TVWBB Fan
Ya know, one of these days I'm just going to do something - go fishing, buy a car, Q up some pork butt, something! - and NOT consult my wife...

In final preparation for our First Annual Rites of Spring Q-Fest and Deck Building Party, my wife grabbed the menu from my hands and asked me to explain what, exactly, "The Renowned Mr. Brown" was. So, foolishly, I handed her the recipe. "Too spicy! We're having four-year-olds and seniors here. They'll not eat that." "Okay", I said. "How 'bout this one?", sliding the Pork-Butt Slathered in Mustard" recipe across the table for review. "Nope. I don't like yellow mustard." That's that. End of discussion. Making a horse drink has better odds of success than winning this one.

So I'm stuck. My copy of "Smoke and Spice" is, I'm told, making it's way thru the UPS system - which could mean it's out for delivery to someone in Wisconsin - and I'm fumbling around in the dark for a good Butt idea (no snide remarks please). Veterans? Anyone? Got one I can scrounge on short notice? Directions to a web site, perhaps?

Thanks for the help.

Alan Bosch
(Buttless but not broken...)

Hi Alan,

I'm not exactely a butt expert (ok, be kind!) butt why not try the renowned Mr Brown recipe and just cut down on the offending spice? Also, remember that with a butt, the rub is only going to be on the outside and theres lots of meat inside to mix with, so the final product may not be as spicy as it sounds.

I know a lot of people say that you can't taste the mustard using the mustard slather technique, but I haven't tried it myself. You could just try a plain rub of salt and pepper and let the taste of the smoke and the pork shine through.

Good luck,
Doug W

Alan,

I don't suppose there's any point in trying to convince your spouse that the mustard-slathered butt does not taste like yellow mustard when it's finished cooking. Not even one little bit. Really.

Otherwise, you can just sprinkle generously with any good commercial rub, or perhaps one of the rubs found in the Recipes Forum, and you'll end up with some tasty pig.

Regards,
Chris

It's all a matter of personal taste but....I think Chris has a good point in cutting back on the ingredients or in the case of cayenne (that's what I like) I leave it out and sprinkle it to my taste on only one side. I have just recently used the "Mr.Brown" and "Perfect Picnic" rubs in S&S and have modified them slighty and find they are two good rubs. I thought I would taste the dry mustard in rubs but find that they enhance the taste without dominating. Apple juice (mentioned thoughout this site) and apple cider also make a great mop ingredients.

Forget the mustard. Oil the butt up and use nothing but salt and pepper. It'll be good.
(and if she complains about this recipie, it's time for a trade in)

I agree with Mr. Brewer: oil, salt and pepper (and maybe a little granulated garlic). But, if all that fails, just throw it on nekkid! Let's not lose perspective of what we are doing here. Perfectly good BBQ can be made with no rub at all, and nothing but a charcoal fire for flavor. All the attention to rubs, mops, species of wood, etc. is interesting and fun, but I think it would be a shame for someone to abandon the endeavor, or feel cheated because they didn't have the "right" rub, or the "correct" hardwood to use. The most important part of the barbeque process is controlling the fire. Otherwise, why not use the oven? The idea of a barbeque "recipe" is amusing to me. There may be a recipe for the rub, but the end product can vary widely depending on temperature control.

I have cooked butt a variety of ways (my wife does not care for hot spicy either) and she is always happy to eat Mr Brown pork or mustard slatheredm, with no complaints and plenty of compliments.

For me, using a mop of cider vinegar and spices really makes a better butt than apple cider. I was worried about the vinegar overwhelming the rubs, but, surprisingly, it really adds and enhances the flavors.

I left out the last word when I said "apple cider" and that was vinegar. I meant to say apple cider vinegar. It adds a surprisingly wonderful baste for pork and smells great when in the water pan. I would like to try it with other meats as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back