Frying Turkey Caution

Scotty W.

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi Folks,

Know the majority of readers will be smoking their birds but in case some will be frying here is a note I received from Bill at TexasBBQ. Just be safe no matter what method of cooking you use.

Scotty W.

"Re: Fried Turkey Cooking Safety

In our last newsletter we sent out a recipe for fried turkey. If you are frying a turkey please be careful and I would recommend you have a fire extinguisher with you when you are frying the turkey. Never spray water on a grease fire only ways to stop a grease fire are starving the air from the fire, stopping the fuel until it burns it all out or use a chemical fire extinguisher made for handling grease fires. You can pick one up a your nearest home improvement warehouse. Always good to have a fire extinguisher with you when you are either smoking meat or cooking with grease.

I also got this email from a friend of mine that gives another warning during the fried turkey cooking and I thought I would pass it along to you. Nice comments from him.

"Bill,

The method you described for determining how much oil to use in the pot to fry a turkey is very dangerous! Here's why....

If you fill the pot with water and mark the pot, then fill the pot with oil to that mark, there is a high likely hood that the oil will spill over and ignite when the turkey is placed into the hot oil. The reason for this is the water was cold when the measurement was made. The oil is hot when the turkey is put into the pot for frying. The oil expands and rises. So when the turkey is put into the pot, the oil level is actually higher than the water level when the measurement was made.

If the pot is large enough, there would not be a problem.
But some of the
pots bought in kits are sized for frying turkeys and don't have the volume to prevent a spill over.

I recommend that you send out a message to the people on your mail list and warn them of this risk."

Another tip I use is I dry the turkey as best as I can. I then put it in the oven at the lowest temp for five or so minutes to dry it out more. I then take it directly to the frier. Reduces a lot of spattering.

Another thing I do is I turn off the burner right before I put the turkey in. Once the turkeys in I re-light. I have an automatic lighter so the re-light is much easier.

These tips may be too simple and well known. I just thought I would give my 2 cents.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HE Etheredge: Another thing I do is I turn off the burner right before I put the turkey in. Once the turkeys in I re-light. I have an automatic lighter so the re-light is much easier. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, I might not have thought of this, so I appreciate you sharing the tip.

Back