Bacon Packaging

Maxwell G.

I'm making bacon to give away for Christmas presents. I have labels and a vacume packer. What I have not been able to source is some kind of backing to put the bacon on before I seal it up and freeze. Last year I used cardboard cake boards that I cut to the appropriate size. Unfortunately, the cardboard soaked up some of the fat and did not look too pretty. Has anyone sourced bacon packaging material? I can't find anything searching on line. Thanks, Maxwell

Welcome Maxwell,

You could try a couple of things:

1. Go to local butcher and ask for some styrofoam trays, trim to the size you need.

2. Use cardboard but vacuum seal it so as to make it grease/waterproof. Then lay bacon onto this and shrinkwrap the combo.

Paul

you can slice it and stack the slices and vac pack the stack. They won't be neatly fanned out, but it would save a ton of time and save some bag.

Two things come to mind.

1. You could wrap the cardboard in Plastic wrap, put the bacon on it and vacuum pack.

2. Try out the "Foil Laminated Lids" used to top foil catering pans. I am the recipient of lots of catering at work and these seem to do the job as the foil layer keeps the cardboard from absorbing liquids.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">2. Try out the "Foil Laminated Lids" used to top foil catering pans. I am the recipient of lots of catering at work and these seem to do the job as the foil layer keeps the cardboard from absorbing liquids. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that's a great idea. I'm going to have to check out RD next time I'm there.

These are all great ideas. Since I'm tryihg to package these as Christmas gifts I think the foil idea will work best for me, more festive that way. Thanks for your help. Max

Back