BBQ Competition in Morton, IL 8/5-8/6/11

Ryan Ko

TVWBB Super Fan
I am organizing a BBQ Competition in Morton, IL on Aug 5-6. This is a charity event benefiting the Illinois Cancer Care Foundation. We will have bands, food vendors, a craft show and more. The comp info is below;

Competitor Schedule

Friday 8-5-11
Noon-7:00pm Team Set up
3:00pm-9:00pm Meat Inspection
4:00pm Team Meeting
7:00pm Cooks Dinner
11:00-6:00am Quiet Time

Saturday 8-6-11
7:00am-8:00am Coffee and Doughnuts for competitors
9:00am Team Meeting for Saturday arrivals
11:00am Judges Meeting
11:00am-? People's Choice Tasting
11:55-12:05pm Chicken Turn in
12:25-12:35pm Ribs Turn in
12:55- 1:05pm Pork Shoulder Turn in
1:25- 1:35pm Beef Brisket Turn in
1:55- 2:05pm Side Dish Turn in
4:00pm Awards Ceremony

- All competitors will have a 12’x20’ area to cook in. If additional area is required it will need to be arranged ahead of time. Please email all requests to rak@koener.com.
- Water will be available, but not at each site.
- Electricity (20amp outlets) will be available for each space. Competitors will need to bring a minimum 50’ extension cord for power.
- KCBS rules will be followed with exception of garnish. No garnish allowed in containers. Meat only. Please look at www.kcbs.us for the complete rules.
- Containers will be provided at the team meeting.
- The top 3 in each category will receive a trophy. The winner in each category will receive a cash prize (amount based on participation) and a trophy. There will be a Grand Champion for the team with the highest score in all 4 major categories. Grand Champion will receive a cash prize and a trophy.

Cost per category is $25.00. If you sign up for all 4 main categories, the side dish category is free.

Please email me at rak@koener.com if you want a registration form or more information.

Still plenty of space left. The event is coming together very nicely! Please let me know if you want an application.

Hello Ryan, I'm in Peoria and would be interested. It would be my first competition, so looking for something fun and casual. Would likely only go for a couple of categories, tops. Can you direct me somewhere for more information?

Bryan,

I emailed you the registration form. I think this event will be perfect for you. It will be a more casual and laid back event than some others. We are hoping for some first timers! Let me know if you have any questions.

We are starting to get a lot of interest in our competition. Please let me know if you want me to email you an application. The spots will fill up quickly.

Ryan, I'd like for you to send me an application. I'm hoping to have my new smoker by then and this sounds like a great opportunity to fire it up.

The registration forms are starting to come in fast. If anyone would like to get in before we are full let me know and I will send you the forms.

Jeremy,

Thanks! I will keep an eye out for it. You will be allowed to have adult beverages at your cooking area if you are careful about it. Please use cups and don't overdo it. I was told the police will look the other way as long as it doesn't get out of hand. This is pretty common procedure though for these events. I don't think there will be any issues.

Back