new gasser+ 26

Tim C

TVWBB Super Fan
been looking at a gasser and i keep going back and forth about which way to go.if i get a summit i will have to wait a long long time for a 26 kettle, and my life wont be complete til i own a big kettle.but im not sure if i'd use the gasser enough to justify the summit.i could get a genesis or a Q220 and a big kettle and have the best of both worlds.i have a sjp and an older 22" kettle and a wsm. any advice would be greatly appreciated

Tim

I love the convenience of a gasser and use one at least 3 days a week. Generally people who purchase a summit are buying it to use4 as a primary BBQ.
I noted with interest that you want a 26" kettle, judging by your post it is the main BBQ that you would use for entertaining and of a weekend, if that is the case then you need to consider what your needs are.
If you want a gasser to feed the family during the week and sometimes for grilling on the weekend and you want one that you can tailgate with then the Q220 is perfect. It will cook for 6 - 8 people, you can cook all types of food including cakes and bread in it and a (9 Kg) 20lb gas bottle will last about 36 hours.
If you do a search on my name in this forum you will find a lot of posts about the Q220.
If you want the gasser to be the primary then the Summit is the way to go and if you get one get it with all the whiz bangs, you won't be sorry in the long run.

Regards

the q220 + the larger stand and a new kettle seems to be the best choice. i doubt the q would ever leave the patio so mobility isnt an issue. i might go up to the q320 for the dual burners and alot more grill space for the $75 to $100 extra it would cost. im sure the new kettle will get the most work around here. ive always been a charcoal guy but have been thinking more of a gasser after reading things on here. if webers gas grills are as good as the charcoal ones im in . ive enjoyed reading your posts phil.very helpful and insightful. thanks for taking the time to help me

you didn't really state what you prefer and what you want to do with the gasser. if you plan on using the gasser for very big cooks, rotissering, etc then a big one might be justified. i just needed a gasser to do quick stuff and late night cooks. due much to phil and reading some other info, i chose to get a q220. its an amazing unit. i'm more than pleased with it. one thing though, do plan on getting a hose and tank setup cuz the cost of bottles will quickly out cost those items.

Tim
You will be surprised as to how much room there is on a Q220.
Remember that you cook with the lid down all the time so that all the grill is a cooking surface. I can cook 2 chickens indirect on mine with room to spare.
I can also cook 5 chickens indirect on my Genesis E320.
The advantage of the Q300 is that you just use the centre burner and turn it to minimum and do a low and slow, though adding smoke creates a bit of a challenge. Using my foil and trivet method you can set it up for indirect with only the centre burner on.

Regards

went to ace to look @ the q grills. we got to looking @ the genesis and i found out i could get a black e320 for $599.so i jumped on it. will be here friday. guess thats my christmas and the 26 kettle is birthday. life is good

Good one Tim.
A few hints:
1. When you assemble ensure that the locking wheels are at the front on each side. It makes it easier to position.
2. Indirect Place a foil tray under the grill on the flavourizer bars with some water in it.
Indirect over a large area I have an old stove rack that nearly covers the grill. I put down a couple of doubled over sheets of foil to cover most of the grill and leave about 1 1/2" gap all around. I then place 2 lengths of thin walled 3/4" steel conduit on top of the foil and finally place the stove rack on top. I now have an indirect area that covers most of the grill and I can have 1, 2 or 3 burners alight.
3. Make foil packs of wood chips and place them over the interconnect burner between the flavouriser bars to make smoke.

Hope this helps.

Regards

thx phil i'll give it a go.i found out im getting the pci grates but getting the price i did i can get the ss if i want or a couple tanks and a cover.

I have SS bars (EP-320 Copper) and I want the PCI grates personally. I know about the maintenance etc., but $50 over several years doesn't bother me.

The SS are decent but they lose heat fast IMO. Cast Iron is hot and stays hot, With my style of cooking I find I would like the PCI better.

Are you going to buy a couple tanks and a cover anyway? If so, get them, IMO.

Just don't bang up the bars with metal spatulas etc., and use a brass brush. The PCi should last a few seasons.

Back