A good few days with my SJP

MichaelM USA

New to the board, and just scored a SJP last week. Tried to get parts and accessories for the mods that have been discussed here, in time for my trip to the beach. Couldn't pull it off, but brought the grill with us anyway.

Even without the mods (which I intend to still pursue), my experience with the SJP has been awesome.
Yesterday I did a very small brisket flat low and slow for 90 min. a pound, then dumped the coals from the basket, added a few to the pile and grilled chicken and pork at 325 for another hour or so. The SJP held 225 on the number for 5-6 hours with only occasional bumps in the side and top vents (minion method).

Today did 2 small racks of baby backs, again perfect temp control using minion and kingsford, then dumped the existing coals from the basket, added a chimney of lump, then seared & grilled 6 ribeyes at 550 in no time flat. Shift the vents off and SJP was inside under 100 degrees in 20-25 minutes. Still enough unlit lump to do some more stuff tomorrow.

Anyway, long post, but wanted the share the experience. Even without mods, it does everything I would want out of a $45 kettle...(just in smaller quantities when going indirect). Now I really want a Performer for the house!!

Hi,

About the same experience here with my new SJP.

We are on vacation at the beach, and have used the new SJP for 3 different meals, 2 of which were more direct grilling, and the 3rd was a longer indirect meal. After reading all the posts here on the SJP's performance, I kept a close eye on the temperature and the state of the charcoal. During the 3 cooks, I never had a problem holding temperatures where I wanted them. I am doing a tri-tip tonight, and expect no problems with the SJP. I will keep you posted.

After I was finished cooking, I closed the vents, and within 1/2 hour, the SJP was warm to the touch; in less than an hour, it was cool. I still had almost 50% of my original charcoal left.

Finally, the SJP has the perfect amount of grill area for a portable. We had family and friends over, and had plenty of room on the grill for everything.

Don't know if I will do the SJP mod or not, but if I do, it will be the mod that has been detailed here.

Thanks!
JP

Yes for regular grilling it's fine. The mods are done for a super high heat sear on steaks, like you would pay big bucks for at that fancy resturant. For everyday grilling it's fine. But if you want a super hot sear, char crusted steak, then that's why I did the mod to the SJP.
icon_wink.gif

Ok...I see. I haven't tried to do that, yet. I hadn't thought of using the SJP for the sear. I just use the chimney for the sear, and then finish off the cook on the grill. Generally, it's the Performer for cooking at home, and the SJP while camping or on vacation.

Thanks!
JP

I used a chimney of lump to sear (6) 1.5 inch ribeyes. Temp was 600+ for as long as I needed it, which isn't long at that high heat (for medium-rare to medium)

Back