Baked Brown Rice

Dean Torges

R.I.P. 11/4/2016
A hunting buddy's wife impressed us with this dish 40 years ago. She made it alongside a mess of pan-fired squirrels. It's been a family favorite since then. We use a lidded ceramic pot to fix it, just as she did, but a Corning Ware casserole dish would work, too. So would a cast iron lidded chicken fryer, I'd think, and might be a better choice than Corning Ware. We had a potter friend throw us a deep three qt ceramic baking piece just for this purpose. Well worth the investment in storage space and the requirements of care that accompany it. The ceramic bakeware contributes to a delectable crunchiness on the outside of the rice, all around, sorta like brisket burnt ends. Rice comes out flavorful and of two textures. Really nice.

In saucepan, melt 1/2 lb butter, add two cups of brown basmati rice, 2 tsp oregano, 1 TB salt, 2 cans 4 oz each of sliced mushrooms, drained (liquid reserved), and about 8 chopped scallions. Stir and saute several minutes over med-high heat until rice smells good.

Add three cans of beef broth (Swanson's), enough water to bring mushroom liquid to two cups, and two more cups of brown rice. Mix everything together and pour into ceramic bakeware. Place in cold oven, dial in 425 and bake for one hour. At end of 50 minutes, remove lid and check moisture level. If rice is plumped and tender, remove lid for the final ten minutes and let it crust over. If rice is drying out, add water.

This is a hearty, substantial side dish, a great companion to game; it holds up to venison or elk because it's buttery and has "strength," does not disappear on the plate. Goes just fine with beef, lamb, and poultry, too.

Vote Jim Minion to KCBS Board of Directors, and to state legislature, too. Because he knows pork!
icon_smile.gif

How am going to justify eating this on my South Beach Diet?
Sounds great.
Happy New Year to you my friend.
Jim

Thanks for posting this recipie, Dean. Went over great with the wife and kiddo. The only thing I deviated on was the use of stock instead of broth and it turned out great. NEver had to add any water - cooked it in one of our clay cookers. Went splendidly with grass fed NY strips, fresh corn and a salad. Sure it would be perfect with chick too. Thanks!

~Dave

Back