what to do with the rib roast bones

K McCarthy

TVWBB Fan
I have 4 bones from xmas day rib roast. I was wondering what everyone likes to do with them and if they could share a recipe or 2. Broth or stock is what comes to mind, but every suggestion is welcome!

Thanks
Kevin

They were cooked with the roast and removed before carving. They are still fairly meaty and are in the freezer right now.

Thanks
Kev

In a pan preferably just large enough to hold the ribs flat, heat a little neutral oil over medium heat. Add a half of a medium onion, chopped well, half of a large carrot, chopped well, and half a celery stalk, chopped well. Add a pinch of salt and sauté, stirring occasionally till the onion is soft and starting to brown in spots.

Increase the heat to med-high and cook, stirring here and there, till a bit more browning has occurred. If you wish, stir in a teaspoon or so of tomato paste (optional). If you have some available, deglaze the pot with wine (I prefer white here), about 1/4 cup, scraping the bottom of the pot, and cook, stirring constantly, till the wine has reduced to practically nothing. (If you don't have wine use water.

Add the bones to the pot and cover with water - then add enough water to double the volume. Add a half dozen peppercorns, a couple whole parsley sprigs (don't use dried), and a small piece (about an inch) of a fresh thyme sprig (ir 1/8 tsp dried).

Bring to a simmer, skimming any foam that develops, then partially cover and simmer a couple or 3 hours, making sure the liquid level does not go below the top of the bones.

Strain all the solids out. Taste. If flavorful enough, fine, it's done. If not, return to the stove and simmer, uncovered, till the stock has reduced and is more flavorful. Season to taste, as desired.

Jeff - thanks for the additional detail. I think an SV system is in my future, just a matter of when. The Adcraft and the Auber controller seems to be the ticket. Much better volume than the systems offered to date. Plus I could use the Adcraft for other things as well.

So in that picture it's just a bubble against a solid lid based on your explanation. Thanks for sharing. It would almost be worth it to build a system just for large/medium sized roasts, regardless of which animal if you are shooting for uniformity.

Back