Turkey pastrami

Geir Widar

TVWBB Wizard
You asked for pictures of my turkey pastrami. Here they are.
I’ve made this lunch meat several times now, and not without reason. It is simply fantastic!
I use it in sandwiches, and in baguettes, with some garlic butter and melted cheese. It’s so much better than the stuff I can get in the shop.
As always, click on the picture to watch a large one.
Here’s a pic of the breast, together with some other turkey parts. The breast is completely natural, nothing added.

The breast is dry brined in 3% salt solution, 1% brown sugar, some black and white pepper added, as well as a couple of laurel leaves. Three days curing in a Ziplock bag, rinsed, and placed in the cellar to dry for 24 hours.
I prefer dry brining, as long as the pieces of meat are so small that they’ll fit in a ziplock. It takes less time, and for me it feels safer. No water added, no new air can touch the meat and so on. Last, but not least, it’s the method that I have used for years and years. I know how to do this. ?
My cellar is cold as a fridge these days, so the “charcuterie conditions” are excellent.
Moving on, out of the WSM, smoked on a combo of apple and alder wood for a couple of hours. I used 6 hand sized pieces, just to see how much smoke this piece of meat can take:

And sliced. I actually hand sliced this, just to see if I could do it.
I could. Masahiro knives are very sharp.

Then I used my ancient re-vamped bread slicer for the rest of the breast. It saved some time.
If you have not tried this yet, well, give it a go. I’m quite sure that you’ll love it, as long as you are not the President of the “Ban all Turkey association”.
Thanks for looking!

Thanks Geir. I definitely wanted to see how that pastrami turned out. I am going to do a brisket flat pastrami here in the next few days. From the looks of that turkey breast pastrami, I have to say that my next task may very well be that. I was going to do some hickory cured bacon, but I think that I will give your turkey breast recipe a shot. I bet it tastes even better than it looks, if that is possible. Thanks for the update.

Very interesting, I learn something new here everyday.
icon_biggrin.gif

Geir, how did you know I like turkey over beef Pastrami? I am too lazy to look right now, how close is this to Steven Raichlen's recipe?

Tim, this is very different from raichlan's recipe (I just cooked a breast up with it last night). His is heaVy with coriander, garlic, paprika and ginger, none of which Geir used in his.

Looks fantastic Geir! Im a big fan turkey lunchmeat aswell. Whenever i find a good deal on breasts i stock up. Even if i pay full price its just half of what they charge in the stores for the smoked ones. Yours Looks PERFECT!

My own deli? You got to be joking!
But thank you anyway, I'll take that as a complement.

It is tempting to add lots of spices to the brine, but I have chosen a very simple brine, because I like the taste of turkey on its own.
There is no need to hide the natural taste of a first class turkey breast.

If you want to add other tastes, like garlic, peppers and so on, there is no problem to add these, fresh, when you make your meal, as a sandwich, salad, baguette or anything else. You can then spice up your pastrami in many different ways.

Back