Changing European regulator to use in USA

Marie Calig

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping you can help me out. I have a Q100 that I bought last summer in Sweden. I just moved back to the US and want to use my grill here.

I called Weber and they couldn't help me out. They said each country regulates gas products differently and they could not provide any advise.

Is it as easy as switching out the regulator for a USA one? Has anyone done this?

I'd hate to have to buy another one, as I've only owned my Q100 for one summer. I was looking at grillparts.com for a replacement regulator.

Thanks in advance!

might be cheaper to buy a q100 cheap off of craigslist. then you can see what the differance is and go from there. why they can't sell you the usa version of the burner set up is just lame. but again it just might be cheaper from cl.

I've checked cl, but no dice.

I found a burner tube for $17, and a new regulator for $22.

I'm also considering getting an adapter tube instead. Do you think that would work as it would connect directly to the grill?

As much as I would love to avoid spending money on an entirely new grill, I also don't want to cause an explosion. =)

Well, I am kind of confused because my regulator on my Q200 went and I ordred one from Weber. They promptly sent me the new one, and when I looked at it the regulator was made in ECC, which google says is Europe. Okay, but the gril runs perfectly with this regulator.

Maybe you don't have a problem.

George may be right. I just replaced the regulator and burner tube and the parts came from Weber. The regulator cost $17.00, and the burner tube $14.00. Shipping brought the total cost to $42.00.

Please let us know how you make out.

The Q100 uses disposable gas bottles, and are they different in Europe and the US?

The regulated gas pressure in Nordic countries is 29 mbar, and iirc it's also about 30 in the US. In the UK they use 37mbar, and in Germany 50mbar. The other thing to worry about is that different countries use different mixes of propane and butane.

Converting a grill would be a bit like coverting to NG and would involve changing the orifices as well as the regulator.

Having said that... I have heard of people who have brought grills from the US to here (Finland) and used them after only changing the regulator - I wish I had brought a grill with me when I moved here because Webers are at least double the price over here.

-Mark.

The gas bottle ring is different b/t Europe and here. And after much debate, I decided to forego trying to change it myself - I upgraded to the Q200 instead!

Thanks for all the input everyone. It really helped.

Back