Genesis NG burn-off

Terry Hlavaty

TVWBB Member
I've got a 5-6 year old 3-burner Genesis, and attempted a burn-off last night after cooking some chicken. The grease inside ignited, and was so hot the thermometer went past the 600F mark and was still climbing when I shut it down. Is this normal? How hot can these units get, and survive? The fire inside was pretty remarkable, but I elected to turn the gas off and ask you guys if what was happening was normal.
Thanks, Terry

Terry,

If you have a large amount of grease, then you have the fuel for a tremendous uncontrolled fire. It has happened to me before and now I am aware that I need to periodically clean the Genesis before cooking.

Ray

I was cleaning my WSM after my last cook and got a wild hair up my butt and decided to clean my Genesis Silver. Thinking back, I don’t know if I have ever cleaned it since I got it about six years ago. I wiped down the inside of the top to remove the burnt grease flakes (the ones that look like paint). Before each grilling, I burn off the last cook’s grease and food by cranking it up to max, then turn it down to cooking temp as I wire brush the grate. I pulled the grates and there was a ton of cooked on grease on the bottom of the grate, enough to start closing the slots between the metal. I scraped the big chunks into the base of the gasser, brought them in and soaked them in hot soapy water. I removed the “Flavorizer bars” and scraped them, also coated with burnt on food and drippings. I then scrapped down the sides of the base and shoved the gunk down the hole into a gallon bucket, which I almost filled! I was amazed that over a half inch of gunk had built up on the sides and a few inches on the bottom. I can see where you could get a grease fire if you don’t burn everything off to ashes on a regular basis. I wiped the loose scrapings down as good as I could with paper towels and made sure the holes in the gas bars wernt cloged. When I returned the “Flavorizer bars”, I swapped them front to back and end for end to even out the wear. I then cranked her up for a bit to burn off any grease I may have exposed. With all the crud cleaned out of it, it heated up to 600º in just a few minutes. I ended up scraping and scrubbing the grates just to get the crust off, then put them into the dishwasher on the “pots and pans” cycle. I wasn’t going to grill tonight but I’m going down to get a few chickens for tonight, just to dirty up my nice clean grill. Can’t do it tomorrow, I’m smoking rip tips on the WSM.

Do Not Do This.
I learned to place foil over the grates on a gas grill and crank it up to clean it. I cannot recall having read about it recently. Does anyone have any advice regarding this?

We used to burn our trash in the camp fire and then remove and cart out anything that did not burn. Aluminum foul burned, so I would think you would end up with aluminum ashes on your grill, which is probably not healthy to ingest.

The purpose was to jack the temp up-which this does. It very effectively 'cleans' the grates. I do not know how safe a practice this is...the foil does not burn in my experience.

Using the foil works the same as when I set up for indirect cooking. The foil reflects the direct heat and the reflected heat burns off the junk on the grill. The residue (junk) will turn into a white powder like residue that you can easily brish off. The same happens to the junk on the flavouriser bars.

I is important that you regularly clean the porcelien drip tray and empty out/replace the drip pan. If you don't you can experience fires like you described Terry. Generally it takes 5 - 10 minutes to clean it up a bit.

Regards

Steve and Phil,

I tried your foil method for burning of last nights chicken BBQ and it worked great!. Thanks for the suggestion.

Chuck

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Petrone:
Do Not Do This.
I learned to place foil over the grates on a gas grill and crank it up to clean it. I cannot recall having read about it recently. Does anyone have any advice regarding this? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Do you simply cover your grates or are you doing something more? How long do you run the burners on high?

Back