Corned Beef Question

John Frailey

TVWBB Fan
I am 2/3 of the way into my first corned beef cure and notice the meat is not taking on that reddish color of store bought. It looks more like a Canadian bacon cure before smoking. Is something wrong or is that red color in store bought just dye? I know some corned beef I have bought at Whole Foods wasn't red either. Everything smells fine. It has been in a dedicated small frig and the cure liquid has been between 36 and 39 degrees. Salt and pink salt are per Ruhlman with flavorings from another source.

Nothing is necessarily wrong with the color. No, red coloring is not generally used with store bought. MAP (modified atmosphere packaging) and vac-packing can affect color. Cooking should bring your color out better.

I would advise you raise your fridge temp ever so slightly if you can. Curing is slowing at your lowest temp. If you can boost it to 38-39 or 38-40 that would be good.

Thanks Kevin. The frig is a new purchase specifically for this kind of stuff and this is its first use. It has been an up and down (pun not intended) proposition trying to dial in the temp. The road map I am using calls for a 10 day cure. Is it ok to go another day or two while I get the temp a bit higher? Would that help?

Back