CL Q200 cracked lid

Allan_F

TVWBB Member
I love Weber CS called to get a cracked lid replaced on the Q200 I piked up today off of CL ($100), lady asked if I had a gray or red lid, I told he I had a gray but asked if she would ship a red. So a new shiny red lid is on its way!

Any tips from you long time Qers as to what the first cook should be???

Allan
Good pick-up on the Q, from your tag that makes 5 different BBQs you own so I guess that you are getting to Master Q'er level. Everything cooked on the Q is good. I guess that the best thing to do is to understand the capabilities of the Q. I have posted a few different posts in this forum regarding indirect cooking on the Q - this is something that you need to master. First off you should try just simple grilling. and temp control. As you don't have a temp gauge on the 200 you need to experiment a bit to get temps right.
For Steak 3/4" thick - preheat on hiogh for 10 minutes, brush the steak both sides with a little oil and season with S&P (the salt is important as it enhances the natural flavour). Lift the lid, and brush the grill with a wire brush to remove any residual crud. Place the steaks on the grill and close the lid, turn the gas control knob down 2 strokes from high, and grill for 2 1/2 minutes, lift the lid and flip the steaks over and cook for another 2 1/2 minutes - try and place the steaks on a different part of the grill as the part that you cooked the first side on will not be as hot as a unused part. The steaks should be on the medium side of medium rare.
For hamburgers Preheat on hig for 10 minutes and brush the grill. Then turn down 2 to 3 strokes below high and leave the lid up for about a minute then cook the burgers about 3 1/2 minutes a side. You may need to turn the heat up or down depending on the finish you want on the burger and adjust the time. These settings and times are a starting point only.

Here is a photo of Lamb Steaks and Sausages done on the Q220

LambSteaksandSausages.jpg

Here is a photo of 2 chickens on the Q200 using the indirect method.

2Chickensafter30minsinQ.jpg

Good luck

Great pick up - I have the red head Q220 and I've enjoyed every cook I've done on it. I suggest either pork chops or hamburgers for the first cook! Be sure to oil the cast iron grate (I do it before and again afterward after I've scraped it down).

Phil is the Q master here, but I have one hint and that is to let the grill heat up for about 5 minutes longer than you think you need to. The reason for this, in my feeble mind at least, is that I want the cast iron grates to get fully up to temperature so that when I put the meat on the grate, I get that wonderful cast iron sizzle and fabulous grill marks!

Again, congratulations on a great find. You're going to really enjoy this little grill.

Pat

Pat is right about the extra 5 minutes for some types of meat and if you want really heavy searing, I don't usually worry about it as I watch the temp gauge on the Q220 or Q300 and wait until it settles at about 475 for a few minutes. I always recommend 10 minutes as a starting point for the Q200 as you don't have a thermometer.
The Lamb steaks that you see above were done using the steak method, except I cooled down the grill a little after I cleaned it because I didn't want the sausages to burn.

Pork chops should be done the same as the steak except I would cut the time down slightly (depending on the thickness of the chops).
We have a schnitzel cut here which is about 1/4" thick, I cook this on high for 15 seconds per side and then use a variation of Jamie Purviance's Japanese dipping sauce that is on Weber Nation. When I do this dish I leave it on high for another 10- minutes after I have brushed it clean and make sure the meat is at room temp first so I can get some grill marks happening. I actually count slowly to 15 in front of the customers when I demonstrate this dish so they can see how quick it can cook and the types of results and dishes you can cook. I use Nori in the sauce to give it a strong Japanese taste.

cheers

Guys thanks for the tips! I bought this for tailgating and camping because of the increase in not being allowed charcoal at a lot of venues anymore. But I do believe that this grill can be a workhorse, the grate is nearly as big as my Genesis!

Pat is that a warming rack you use for the chickens?

Once I get the lid in I’ll get to cooking on this bad boy. Get the learning curve finished before tailgate season rolls around.

Once again thanks guys,
Allan

Allan -

That was Phil's picture of the chickens, but I believe he uses an oven rack sitting on foil to create an indirect cooking environment for larger items.

I do the same thing (thanks to Phil), but I will use a cooling rack sitting on top of a baking pan for the indirect portion of my cooks.

I will sear thick steaks and chops, as well as pork tenderloins, then finish them using Phil's indirect method.

Enjoy your Q - I did pork chops on mine last night and as somebody noted in one of the other posts, pork chops and the Q seem to be made for each other.

Pat

The Lid came in today, it looks great.
George its just a Red 200 lid so no i didn't upgrade it to a 220.
I guess i need to make a run to the butcher tomorrow (Chuck is already in the smoker).
Allan

Back