Takin' Smokey Joe for a Whirl

Pat Smith

TVWBB Wizard
I've had a Smokey Joe silver for a while now and have used it for a variety of things - as a fire box for an ECB with the legs reversed, as a stand on which to light charcoal, and to finish off chicken cooked on the WSM to crisp the skin before bringing it in to serve.

However, since I almost always cook for three or four, plus some extra for lunch the next day, I generally cook on my vintage Performer, or, occasionally my Weber gasser. Tonight, however, I was just cooking for one so I hauled the little Smokey out from under his cover, sat him on the Performer table, dropped in a handful of once burned Wicked Good lump and hit it with my weed burner for a few minutes.

I was cooking a 2" NY Strip so I banked the handful of coals on one side. Everything got nice and hot and I dropped the steak over the hot coals, seared each side for about 3 minutes and then moved it over to the cool side for about 12 minutes. The temp when I pulled it was about 120. The dome temps on the SJS had been 450 plus - on just a handful of charcoal.

I pulled the strip, closed the vents on the SJS and went inside to eat. The steak was perfect. Joe was cool in about 30 minutes and had burned hardly any of the handful of lump I used to cook.

This summer, my wife and daughters will be scattered a little more often and I know what I'll be using to do my nightly grilling for one.

Heck, I may even save enough on charcoal to start thinking seriously about that 22" WSM I've been lusting over!

This part of the forum doesn't get too much traffic, so I just decided I would share my experience with my Smokey Joe.

Do you have a Smokey Joe story to share?

Pat

No story to share, but do have a comment on a point that you made.

Using a SJS for an ECB firebox got my wheels spinning, as in why didn't I think of that one myself back in the day. Long story, but suffice to say that I fought the ECB wars for many years. First mod you want to make to them is to modify the firebox. Still have an ECB...every once in a while I'll drag it out. Am thinking it's time to do that now and try out your idea for old times sake. Thanks for the motivation!

i've got two that are in the useable state and two new ones in boxes. i use one for grilling small amount when needed. i like doing two fatties on the sjs. just right with minimal fuss. gonna use the other one on my ecb and see how that is. with the new ones i'm set for life.

I'm kinda like you George. I've got one that I cook on and one in the box. There are two in my dad's barn that are the old design with the legs that would rust out. I've figured out that with some aluminum strips from Home Depot and a vice, I can replace the legs on those so like you, I'm set for life.

Scott, to use the SJ as an ECB firebox, just move the ECB legs from the inside to the outside - easy peasy to do that - then just sit the ECB over the Joe (without the lid)!

I used it that way a couple of times before I converted the ECB to a gas smoker for the heck of it.

Very versatile little grill!

Pat

Pat,

Yep, know the drill well on the mounting of the ECB legs to the outside. I always used to do the charcoal pan mods so mine are already in proper outside position. The most common charcoal pan mods on the ECB were to drill 5-6 holes in the bottom of the pan for increased airflow and drill three holes along the lip of the pan. Install 3 pieces of all thread and nuts to have the charcoal pan freestanding with a tripod. Put the ECB body, with the legs on the outside, on top and you are good to go. It worked pretty good...I could usually get 4-5 hours of even temps and hassle free fire. I like your idea of the SJS much better. I'm thinking it would definitely need to be a Silver to take advantage of the vent on the bottom. I'm also thinking that this will outperform the modified charcoal pan on a tripod. Gives me a good reason to fiddle with the ECB again and I just happen to have a butt that needs smokin'.

I have two SJGs, one standard in the back of my truck and one copper finish in the box, and a SJP in the camper. Am going to pick up a couple Silvers on a Home Depot run tomorrow. Like you guys, I'd say I'm set for life.

When I'm grilling for one the SJ is almost always my first choice unless I need more surface area for a grill basket, ears of corn, etc.

We go to a number of major league baseball games every year and I always take along the SJ and a box of Weber starter cubes (usually I'm the only person there who doesn't start the fire with lighter fluid). I've got it figured out to the point where I only use exactly as many briquettes as I need for what I'm cooking, as there's no sense in loading up the grill with more than I need when it's all going to get dumped anyway. A single layer will work just fine for a few hot dogs, brats, or burgers; a too-hot fire creates food that's overdone outside and underdone inside.

Brad

Hi Pat, the last time I tried using my SJS to cook some porkchops, I had to finish them on my OTS grill because my coals kept dying down and the grill wasn't getting hot enough. I haven't tried cooking on it since.

Wayne

Wayne - is that the Smokey Joe Silver (with the bottom vent) or Gold (no bottom vent)?

There's been a lot of discussion about coals dying down prematurely in the Smokey Joe Gold and the 18" Smokey Joe Platinum grills. I've done mods to two SJP's to put bottom vents in them so that there is a better air flow and the coals don't die out. There is a thread in here somewhere of with pictures of my SJP mod.

I used mine SJS today as a charcoal lighter for the Minion Method lit coals for my WSM - I tossed 15 - 20 coals on the charcoal grate of the SJS and then hit them with my flame thrower (weed burner) for about 5 minutes an they were ready to go on my unlit.

Let me know if your problem was with a Silver or a Gold - maybe I can help.

Pat

Back