How to make beef brisket kettle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam

TVWBB Member
Hi,

I was looking for a way to make a brisket on a weber 22 1/2 kettle. I have made ribs and pork roasts that were great, I just want to see if I can do this with just as good results. thanks.

Sam,

I have a recipe/method for brisket on the kettle. It is from a Texas pitmaster and was in the April 2004 Saveur magazine. The meat looks really moist with a moderate smoke ring in the photos. So it can be done.

I haven't tried a brisket on a kettle yet. But the technique was to maintain temperature between 250 to 275F, cook for a total of 13 to 15 hours, with the brisket in foil for 4 to 5 of those hours.

Jim

Sam, In Steven Raichlens book How to Grill, he shows you how to smoke a brisket on a Weber kettle. Thats the best bbq book on the planet!
John

Sam,
I have done quite a few briskets on the kettle w/ very good results. I put my usual rub on the night before and can do a 6-8 lb piece w/o problem. Take your chimney and fill about 3/4 full w/ Kingsford, after it is lit dump it and divide it in half. I put the pan between the coals and carefully fill w/ water. Then a take an adjustable rack and put the brisket in it standing up. You may need to play w/ this due to tightness of the lid. The last thing I do is the add the wood and adjust the vents.
I add a few pieces of charcoal and wood to each side every hour or so. Generally you will get a good result in about 4-5 hours. Don't forget to foil it for at least an hour before cutting.

I checked the How to Grill book, but it didn't include anything about using a lower temp with the kettle. Isn't that required for a brisket?

i do mine on the kettle. comes out great to me. full packer. i cook at around 275 deg. usually takes about 9 hours but use the toothpick method to check. i don't foil but i do rest it in a cooler for at least an hour.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
i do mine on the kettle. comes out great to me. full packer. i cook at around 275 deg. usually takes about 9 hours but use the toothpick method to check. i don't foil but i do rest it in a cooler for at least an hour. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Two questions, what is a "full packer" and are you using the minion method to get 275 for 9 hours?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back