DigiQ II Start-up...HELP!!

Lee Morris

TVWBB Fan
I will have my first DigiQ II cook starting in a few hours. I was wondering if the DigiQ needs to "warm-up" before I use it?

The first thing I did this morning was to calibrate the unit as per the online user's guide. It says that the unit should be turned on and allowed to "warm-up" for 10-15 minutes before the calibration is performed.

I have looked 3 or 4 different places and can't really find a step-by-step on how to start a cook with the DigiQ. Does it need time to warm-up? I was planning on getting it fully ready with fire lit, meat on, probes in place and plugged in and then turn on the unit. Is that wrong? Should I turn it on and then connect the probes?

Any info will help. Thanks!

I have a different automatic temperature control system but they all more or less work the same. I used to get the coals lit, hook up the temperature controller, bring the smoker up to temperature and then add the food but I must be getting lazy. Now I add the charcoal, light a few coals in a chimney, place the lit coals on the unlit coals in the smoker, add the grates, food, probes, close it up and turn on the temperature controller. Seems to work just fine. Have fun!

Thanks for the reply, AV.

I had to get it started before I read your post, but it all worked out perfectly.

I just fired the smoker and put the meat on just like I normally would, then I plugged in all parts of the DigiQ and turned it on. Seemed to work like a charm! Took about an hour to settle in at my set point of 231 and then stayed rock solid. Was 231 when I went to bed and 231 when I just got up...that thing is amazing!

Glad to hear it worked out for you. I think the controller has a better chance of stablizing sooner when you just start the fire, add the meat and close it up. You always add air to the fire whenever you open the lid. Have fun!

Back