DigiQ 2 Installation Question

G

I have read the instructions, and I have tried to install the DigiQ II, but I am a bit confused.

It seems as though the deflector plate should end up underneath the fire grate. It is not.

Without the DQ2 installed, the fire grate rests perfectly on the three bolts/nuts at the bottom of the smoker. With the DQ2 installed, it does not quite sit level, and the grate is actually resting on top of the deflector plate.

I have installed the deflector plate/draft inducer on the bottom opening of the three damper holes.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance,
Dan

That's exactly the problem .. The adapter must be installed in one of the 2 upper holes and deflect the air downward, under the charcoal grate and back up the other side, where it's much diffused by then. I have some pics somewhere and I'll try to find them and post..

Bill

Thanks for the response, Bill.

I did try the upper holes, but it seemed to me that the back-end of the deflector was not sitting flush enough with the kettle, and that I would be losing much of my airflow upwards, and away, from the fire.

I'd love to see the pics, thanks!

OK...

1st, I formed the adapter a bit to make it fit best I could without leakage.

p6190017aepr1.jpg

Then, install the adapter in one of the upper holes avoiding sitting on the rivet for the damper.

p6190025aezu7.jpg

I place my charcoal grate like this but now invert it so the outer ring helps hold the charcoal ring centered.

p6190073aern1.jpg

p6190076aezb3.jpg

Hope this helps some..

Bill
icon_smile.gif

Clear as a bell, Bill. Thanks a bunch! Gonna give this a shot and see if I still can't sneak out something quick (beer can chicken) for dinner tonight.

Thanks again.

you taped your holes from the inside? i always tape mine on the outside so i can take it off easy for high heat cooks. i use a pitminder and have never had a problem with the tape on the outside.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tony C.:
you taped your holes from the inside? i always tape mine on the outside so i can take it off easy for high heat cooks. i use a pitminder and have never had a problem with the tape on the outside. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah. Initially, I only taped the one vent but the others were so loose that I had to tape them all so I did everything from the inside to protect the "image". My 2nd WSM, I drilled a hole for the adapter and all of the vents are usable. Just not on that WSM. I have to re-tape every 2nd year though..

Bill

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Hays: I drilled a hole for the adapter and all of the vents are usable. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah, I think that's my next step. Just a PITA with the tape and taking the mount off when wanting to do a standard cook.

Back