New to WSM

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Having not quite recieved my WSM yet,I thought I'd ask some ques.and get some input.
I'm thinking about adding the 'afterburner'kit so I can do some lazy q.I've been q'en for 2 yrs on a webber kettle and find that temp control requires almost constant attention. After spending 7-12 hrs. watching the gauge while doing briskets and butts,I've grown kinda tired. Have any of you used the afterburner? My main reservation is smoke quality. I'm looking for the almost invisible sweet smelling smoke.So many times when using wood chunks on the kettle to smoke is acrid.It kinda burns your nose when you smell it.My rule of thumb has been to apply smoke for 1/2 the total cooking time and finish off with straight charcoal.
Any suggestions will be appreciated

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dan Carpenter:
Having not quite recieved my WSM yet,I thought I'd ask some ques.and get some input.
I'm thinking about adding the 'afterburner'kit so I can do some lazy q.I've been q'en for 2 yrs on a webber kettle and find that temp control requires almost constant attention. After spending 7-12 hrs. watching the gauge while doing briskets and butts,I've grown kinda tired. Have any of you used the afterburner? My main reservation is smoke quality. I'm looking for the almost invisible sweet smelling smoke.So many times when using wood chunks on the kettle to smoke is acrid.It kinda burns your nose when you smell it.My rule of thumb has been to apply smoke for 1/2 the total cooking time and finish off with straight charcoal.
Any suggestions will be appreciated
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dan..save your money!!

The WSM is world renown for its stable temp control! I have been Qin' on mine for a few years now and can get that ole thing to burn at a constant temp for about 12 hours! No fiddlin' and no spikes and only ONE load of charcoal!! You must learn the Minion Method for starting the coals to get those type of burn times.

When I do brisket, I usually start it around midnite the night before and let 'er cook through the evening. The temp, once you get the hang of it, will stay very steady.

Not sure what you are askig in regards to the wood. The WSM takes charcoal for the entire cooking process. Wood chunks are added to supply the smoke, NOT the heat to cook.

Good Luck to you and keep posting!!

Stogie

Dan,

Full coverage of the "Minion Method" for firing the WSM is found on the Firing Up Your Weber Bullet page.

I like to use just a single application of smokewood at the beginning of any cooking session, usually the equivalent of 4-6 fist-sized chunks, sometimes soaked in water but usually not. You'll get quite a bit of smoke during the first 45 minutes, then there will be very little visible smoke. But the chunks are still burning slowly, flavoring your meat. This gives me a nice, smoky aroma and flavor that's not overpowering.

Also, I like all oak, or a 2:1 oak/hickory mix, or cherry if I can find it. I don't use all hickory...I find it too strong.

Dan,

I'm relatively new to smoking with the WSM. Using the method Chris describes to light charcoal does give you a long constant burn. Just checking the WSM every 30-45 minutes is plenty and adjusting the vents at the bottom is quick. Since my wife doesn't really understand whats involved with the smoker I use it to get out of other chores. All I have to say is I need to check the smoker and act like its a big ordeal. If I plan ahead I can sneak a beer out for "marinading" the meat. What could be lazier than that?

Good luck.

Thomas R. Markovic

I will try the Minion method this weekend. First I have to play plumber at mf folks house and if that goes ok I'm planning on Qing Sunday afternoon.I'd like to try some baby backs for my maiden voyage.
Thanks for the replies.
Dan
See ya in the smoke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back