Red Jalapenos?

Dave L.

TVWBB Pro
Has anyone waited to harvest their jalapenos until they turn red? I read that they are sweeter and their heat is a little milder. I have been picking my green ones but I thought about waiting. Any comments?

Wasn't able to get any into the garden this year but last year my goal was to get as many red as possible for making chipotles. As far as fresh, the ripe red are definitely a bit fruitier and have a more balanced taste (IMO). I think it just depends what your going to do with them...

Marc, I'm not really sure what I want to do with them. This is the first year I tried to grow them. I guess I'm looking for a different flavor when adding them to things. Or even for stuffing.

I much prefer ripe jals over unripe ones. Far better flavor, imo, unripe being rather insipid. Hard to find ripe in the stores. I use them for anything one might normally use unripe for. Ditto for serranos.

You all convinced to wait until they are ripe. I thought when they turn green they are ripe but I learn something everytime I come here. I know I'm beating a dead horse but could you bread them in an egg wash after you stuff them then bake or grill them. Is there a way to keep the stuffing inside when doing that?

Yes, you can do that. You can use picks if grilling indirect or baking, or metal skewers, or simply make sure the wash/breading has suitable drying time.

Hey Dave, red is the only way I eat them. The jalapenos are sweeter and don't have that green pepper taste which i hate. As for heat...mine are still hot and haven't noticed a difference between the heat of a green or red.

Last year I grew some jalapenos specifically to make chipotles. Let them ripen on the plants from May to September. follow link for pics They turned out great! Better than I imagined. They were nice and hot and smokey. Better than anything I've bought. Ate a couple raw and I agree they are much sweeter but still were plenty hot.

Back