Bummer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony W.

TVWBB Fan
I was pumped as I took delivery of a slightly
used (2X) rotisserie but my joy went to sorrow
as the ring has a 1/2 inch gap on one side.

I did not try to bend it too much as I did not want to make things worse.

I know Canada does not sell the kit so I doubt
the US will do much as they don't sell directly
into Canada..

Anybody out there with the same problem.

Anthony

Foil tape is used on heating ducts and is available from Home Depot or Lowes for about 6 bucks a roll. It's aluminum with a sticky back-sort of like metal duct tape. Works good, and would work with your problem. THe roll that I have is about 3" wide.

Is it a Weber rotisserie? Mine has gaps. I don't think they build them to fit snug. It would be nice if it sat on the kettle like the lid. When using it I don't bother much with the vents for temp control, but watch the volume of fuel much more closely. It is not a tool for low temp cooking (at least the one I have isn’t).

Gary

The rotisserie was only used twice (2X).

The gap is about 1/3 of an inch where it sits
in the kettle and the gap is only on one side
and goes about a 1/4 of the diameter of the kettle..

I have the Weber and the EZ-Que rotisserie rings and there is a small gap on both. Nothing to worry about. If it continues to bother you, just roll some foil strips around the perimeter to fill the void.

One thing I didn't like about the Weber ring was the spit rod hole on one side, I made two cuts on each side of the opening and made it U shaped. Much easier to remove the spit rod instead of threading it into a hole. The EZ-Que ring is manufactured that way.

I don't know if this will help, but I have discovered that my Weber rotisserie ring sits more stable on the bowl when oriented so that the spit is perpendicular to (i.e. bisects) the bowl's side handle (my kettle started out as an OTS, and so has only one side handle).

Has anyone else noticed the same quirk with their ring/bowl setup?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kevin Walsh:
I don't know if this will help, but I have discovered that my Weber rotisserie ring sits more stable on the bowl when oriented so that the spit is perpendicular to (i.e. bisects) the bowl's side handle (my kettle started out as an OTS, and so has only one side handle).

Has anyone else noticed the same quirk with their ring/bowl setup? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I use mine on the Performer and the Drum Smoker and never had any stability issues. I think it would be more stable if the motor were aligned with leg/handle of the kettle.

ok, brain fade. i suspect it might be a bit out of round. but for sure they don't fit that tight. mine isn't perfect either and it works fine as far as i'm concerned. i really don't think it has much of an affect on the rotissering process. many don't even cover while doing it. so i would just go ahead and use it and not worry about it.

Got a call into Weber and they offered to send
me a new ring, but since I live in Canada, they
said they can't, and their Canadian dealer does
not stock it, Weber was very nice and said that
if I knew someone in the US they would ship
to them and in turn send on to me.

I don't have a pic but I bought some Rock Cornish hens, spatchcocked them and put them in a simple brine for 2 hours then cooked them indirect with a couple of chunks of maple
then smothered a bit of store bought PiriPiri
and put them right on the coals to get the skin
perfect.They were outstanding..

Anthony

I was checking my parts for the rotisserie and can't figure out where ths spacer goes, its the size of a silver dollar with am uneven hole in the middle.

Anthony

From the shematics it looks like its called a
keyhole washer, just don't know what it does sitting next to the handle.

Anthony

the washer goes on the spit side of the wood handle. seems to limit the travel of the handle. thus you slide it down the shaft to the handle and then slide the washer down on the groove against the handle. if it is not tight them maybe hit the handle carefully up against the washer. if the wood is shrunk then treat it with mineral oil. my handle has not shrunk and looks like new.

Thanks George but I don't get it, the handle is about an inch from the ring exenter, so the washer just sits there and does not seem to do anything.

Anthony

ok, i assume you are talking about the weber kettle rotisserie setup and you have the weber rod with the wood handle. that given, you have the square rod. on one end you have the wood handle. on the outside of the handle you have the threaded ring thing that screws up against the wood handle. this is for the counter weight that goes between the threaded ring and the wood handle. now you got the handle and on the other side of the handle opposite of that ring thing is were that washer goes. it should be up tight against the wood and slide into a notch/cutout in the shaft. its there to prevent the wood hande from traveling down the shaft when you tighten the adj ring thing for the counter weight. so threaded ring, counter weight, wood handle, washer. hope this helps.

Thanks George for all your patience, it seems the handle had covered the notch/cutout so I gave it a few light taps with a hammer to expose it put the washer in the notch then
tapped the handle up againts the washer, now all
I have to do is figure out what kind of meat I will put on the rotisserie and send it for a ride of its life, thanks again George for your help.

Anthony

no problem, glad to help. i'm not wordy so that was a real exercise for me.
icon_smile.gif
try chickens or
squabs or a boneless leg of lamb. actually anything you put yer mind to. have fun and don't give up until you try several times. i just pile my coals on one side. easier to deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back