lost conection????

D Casten

TVWBB Member
When I am experiencing a lost connection. Is it a software problem or my wireless network? Pretty broad question … I guess what I am asking is there anything I can do to improve the reliability?

Most likely a network connection. Are you using wireless? If so, a lot of us have given up on having it run 100% of the time. Try stringing an Ethernet cable and test that for a while to see if it works better. If so, it is the wireless link that is the issue.

And at the risk of stating the obvious, you can test things like this indoors with stokerlog and not wait for a critical cook to find out if it does or does not work
icon_smile.gif
. You should be able to run 2-3 days without any problems in your testing.

As Amir said, run a cable to improve reliability. I have wireless cooks that are flawless in terms of connection, others I'll lose connection a couple of times (then I get to see my son do his dorky "stoker Connection Loss" dance). No rhyme or reason. As you're probably aware, doesn't affect the cook, Stoker keeps her chugging along, but you do lose your data during the connection loss.

Amir, anyway you could implement a "auto-restart" after a connection loss? Typically what I have to do is just press start again and the connection is re-established and Stokerlog continues. Maybe have it timeout for 2 min. and then "start" automatically. Just a thought

Tested it, wife said I was obsesed with it, for several days before I actually cooked with it. Never had a problem. Ran 24 hours once never lost conection.

Place it on the smoker and I will lose conection once or twice over a 7hr cook. Not a big problem. Like Larry, all I need to do is hit start again.

I'll go to the cable once we get above freezing here in Ia. :)

Someone once said that cold temps impact the wireless routers. So perhaps that is a factor when you cook with it during winter.

Larry, auto-restart is on TODO list
icon_smile.gif
. Your idea is a good one to just simulate pushing the start button. Let me think about that a bit...

Extreme heat is also an issue with wireless bridges. When in direct sunlight my wireless bridge failed often, used longer cable and positioned bridge in the shade, she worked great. Still need to get son to lose the dorky Stoker connection loss dance.

I've solved the problem about my wireless router not working in cold temps.

I put my Stoker and wireless router in a plastic storage box that has a lid that "snaps" closed on the ends. This allows for the cables to run under the sides of the lid where it isn't locked down.

For really cold cooks, I put an electric heating pad in the plastic box under my electronics and turn it to "low". It works great, but I have to make sure I turn it off if the outside temps get above freezing or the heating pad will get the wireless router too warm and then it won't work then either.

Amir, that auto-restarting sounds like it would really help. Larry, thanks for suggesting it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Amir, anyway you could implement a "auto-restart" after a connection loss? Typically what I have to do is just press start again and the connection is re-established and Stokerlog continues. Maybe have it timeout for 2 min. and then "start" automatically. Just a thought </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Amir, any additional thoughts on this? I'm not sure what's going on today but the wireless gremlins are toying with me today, I've lost my wireless connection 7 times in less than 3 hours.

Wi-fi frequencies are shared with a number of other uses including other Wi-fi users, microwave ovens, baby monitors and wireless phones.

Have you tried changing the channel number used by the wireless base station (router or WAP or whatever)? That may get you out of contention with something going on in your neighborhood.

You should find the channel selection in the web config of your router/WAP. Picking something other than the default (and one where your PC shows no other wi-fi nets visible) would be a good choice.

Your gaming adapter should just follow along as long as the network SSID remains the same. You might have to power it on and off, though.

Haven't tried that yet, all my other devices work fine so I really don't want to mess with it for the few times I use my Stoker, however my Stokerlog graph does look like my Stoker is on crack so maybe I'll mess with it when I've had fewer adult beverages.

I use the WET11 from Linksys and other than when it's in direct sunlight in the summer it's worked great for me. Damn, there goes my son with the Stoker Connection Loss Dance again, grrr . . .

Back