Enterprise Sausage Stuffer

Robert Clark

TVWBB Pro
Just won this for 119.73 shipped.

Has anyone bought one and restored it?

It looks like it does not come with the lard basket or the small press plate.

What the heck is the lard basket for anyway?

I really want it to stuff sausage and maybe press some fruit for juice - mainly apple.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

J-

I have one of the 4 qt Enterprise models that has been restored already. PM me if you are interested in working out a deal on it. I have one of the larger models as well, and it's a much better size for batches of sausages anyway.

Robert, I can't help you much on the restoration part (the link above looks pretty good), but I can tell you that something similar to what is shown in this eBay link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sausage-st...f01cce#ht_842wt_1167

...is useful to eliminate your sausage mixture from squeezing past the top plate of your stuffer. My larger model only has the smaller top plate, so there is a gap between the plate and the sides of the stuffer, allowing sausage to "squeeze by" the top when you are cranking hard.

R

No worries, that would be my answer, too (why I ended up with a small and large stuffer, I don't really recall!)

Cheers,
R

Posted January 01, 2010 03:14 PM
Just won this for 119.73 shipped.

Has anyone bought one and restored it?

It looks like it does not come with the lard basket or the small press plate.

What the heck is the lard basket for anyway?

I really want it to stuff sausage and maybe press some fruit for juice - mainly apple.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Robert,
I use mine for fruit juice most. Use the small plate and the basket for pressing fruit. Makes the best apple juice you will ever have. You will need to grind or chop the fruit into small pieces first. You can get a new stainless basket from Chop-Rite - the new owners of Enterprise.
Season the cast iron plates like you would a dutch oven and they will not rust if stored with a light film of olive oil.

Dale,

Mine does not look like it has the lard basket or small press plate. Do you think I could get away with the large plate and some cheese cloth for making apple juice?

Probably, but then you are requiring the juice to be extracted from the bottom only. With the basket, the juice can come out the bottom and sides. You will get more juice with a basket but give it a try without it first. I would also use something heavier than cheesecloth. Even with the basket, I still use a cloth material to contain the apple pieces. The bag material needs to withstand lots of pressure and be a little flexible. The biggest problem is having the press plate slide past the fruit bag and rip a hole in it. You will use the bottom plate with the holes in it for pressing fruit. Do not use the bottom plate for sausage.

After our first try, we liked the juice so much we now make a production line and freeze the apple juice in one gallon containers. My neighbor liked it so much, they bought a press and grinder also. I made an apple grinder from a new (and dedicated) garbage disposal to grind the fruit to a pulp. It all works very well. I can send pictures if you are interested in getting serious. I have six apple trees and this is a great way to use the fruit.

Cool!
It looks like the stuffer is missing the strainer basket sleeve and the small press. No big deal if you don't intend to make your own Lard or use it for a juice press! Keep an eye on Flea-Bay, or order one from Chop-Rite.

I picked one up a couple years ago and saw Colleen Rush's Enterprise restoration blog and it got me motivated to completely go through mine. I sand blasted the rust and years of hardened grease down to bare metal, seasoned it and put it to work. Built like a tank, a PITA to clean and a lot of ground meat goes unstuffed. Compared to what they sell for new, a little elbow grease and its a producer.

Colleen is a writer that worked with Gary Wiviott on his latest BBQ book
http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/fo...33108031/m/801109531

A couple before and after pics of mine.

100_2121.jpg

100_2131.jpg

100_2580.jpg

100_2577.jpg

Originally posted by Brian Moriarty
I sand blasted the rust and years of hardened grease down to bare metal, seasoned it and put it to work.

Have a friend who has a beadblasting equipment.

I took the stuffer there but he was having problems with his equipment.

Does any one know where I could take this to get sandblasted.

Should I start looking a garages or body shops?

Originally posted by Robert Clark:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian Moriarty
I sand blasted the rust and years of hardened grease down to bare metal, seasoned it and put it to work.

Have a friend who has a beadblasting equipment.

I took the stuffer there but he was having problems with his equipment.

Does any one know where I could take this to get sandblasted.

Should I start looking a garages or body shops? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I should probably edit to say bead blasted, which is what I had done to mine.

Personally I wouldn't sand blast or bead blast, but that's just me. I like to keep CI surfaces original. Blasting or wire brushing smooths things out too much for my taste. Not knocking it.

I had been looking for one for awhile. Picked up a 4QT since I'm really only interested in small lots right now. If I need a bigger one these things are always around.

You need to watch for complete sets if that's important. Make sure that tube nut is there, the tube, both plates and the basket. Otherwise you should pay less!

My number 4 is parted out and in the electro this week. I'm probably not going to repaint/enamel. Just heat and season and keep it lightly oiled while storing.

We'll see, might not be able to keep myself from painting it
icon_smile.gif
Natural finish looks fine to me though once these are cleaned up.

I saw a beautiful unrestored Enterprise stuffer in a warehouse I was inspecting yesterday. I didn't look at it closely (I was supposed to be working, after all) but it appeared to have its original finish, even down to what appeared to be some decorative paint (or maybe a decal?). I offered to take it off the owner's hands if he needed to free up the space for more storage, but for some reason he wasn't interested.
icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Robert Clark:
Brian,

Did you paint it gold?

No- That was after I bead blasted it and before it was seasoned. Must have been the reflection off the stainless steel table and the Red Cookshack in the background!
After seasoning and a couple uses, it turned dark.

Michael Stevenson crankin' out the links!
IMG_1458.jpg

Back