Can you convert a Weber NG to LP ?

G

Hi Everyone,

I purchased a Weber Silver B NG as a project grill. I have to run about 40 feet of gas line to the deck to get it to run. With the price of copper these days, I wonder if it is worth it or is there a way I can convert a NG to a LP grill ?

I found a posting on another website that says you can take a two stage regulator like this http://www.campersdirect.com/keystone/details.php?ITEM=4529000
and step it down to convert it. Does this sound right to anyone here ?

I spoke to weber and they spoke about changing out the manifold for about $ 115. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

I converted 2 NG webers to LP. Just call weber customer svc. and give them the serial number and model. Tell them you want to convert, and they will sell you the correct parts. It's easy to do. It shouldn't take more than 30 minutes for the complete operation. All you need is a screwdriver and a wrench.

Good Luck & Happy Holidays,
Ross

Patrick
Ross is correct, Weber CS should be able to supply you with a parts kit and instructions. It is my understanding that it simple to do. In Australia the Weber Service technician does the changeover. In Australia it is a worksafe requirement that a licenced tecnichian carry out repairs of this nature. You should check with your local authority before attempting to do the work yourself.

Regards

Weber sells the conversion kits, but why do you need to use copper for a gas line? I would just run steel gas line. I'd much rather use NG than propane.

Copper or Stainless Steel can be used although Copper is the preferred. The moisture plus the gas creates a corrosive atmosphere for steel, you may end up with pitting (pin hole) corrosion in the steel pipes within 2 years.
It is a major safety concern.

Regards

Has anyone tried this lately? I moved and need to convert my NG grill to LP. I called Weber and they told me as of May 09 they no longer sell conversion kits. In fact, they went as far as to tell me I'm better off selling my Weber and buying a competitor's brand (keep in mind I bought Weber because of it's customer service and flexibility - I have three Weber grills).

Anyone have any better ideas on how to go about converting this? I don't want to lose my Genesis!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brandon B.:
Has anyone tried this lately? I moved and need to convert my NG grill to LP. I called Weber and they told me as of May 09 they no longer sell conversion kits. In fact, they went as far as to tell me I'm better off selling my Weber and buying a competitor's brand (keep in mind I bought Weber because of it's customer service and flexibility - I have three Weber grills).

Anyone have any better ideas on how to go about converting this? I don't want to lose my Genesis!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Look up your grill on Weber support site except in LP version. Get the part number of the manifold. Order a 'replacement manifold for your LP grill' from a dealer if Weber won't sell it to you directly.

The manifold includes the valves and orifices. All you have to do is take out the old manifold assembly, pop in the new manifold assembly and hook it up to a propane tank. You can buy the hose and regulator assembly anywhere, might need one brass adapter fitting depending on the age of your Genesis but if it's 3/8" male JIC on your new manifold the hose with regulator is the only other thing you should need.

Hi Brandon,

I just spoke with Weber and was given the same information. The rep I spoke with explained that they no longer sell conversion kits because customers were requesting the incorrect parts and damaging the grills. However, Weber will replace if its under warrantee or sell the manifolds if your serial number match the grill type in question. I have a Weber Silver B LP and want to go to NG. If you want to exchange serial numbers you will be able to order the LP manifold and assembly and I will be able to order the NG manifold assembly.

Wow, I am glad I got my order in when I did. I converted a Weber Genesis Silver B from NG to LP last fall.

I don't see how folks end up ordering the wrong parts - I called Weber, gave them the Model and Serial Number from my grill, told them that I wanted to convert from NG to LP, the Weber rep read out the list of parts I needed, gave me the price, I placed the order, and the parts, including the LP tank scale, came in a few days.

Swap out of the manifold, attach the regulator assembly (included), clean everything up and Viola! Done.

That folks were getting the wrong parts and damaging their grills seems to be either evidence that other folks customer service reps weren't as good as the one I talked to (and there have been reports of declines) OR folks don't have real good wrench and screwdriver skills!!!

I think I'll keep my NG assembly in case I ever get the opportunity to run a NG line to my patio!

Pat

Thank you for link. However, I am looking to convert my bbq in the other direction from LP to NG.

I have a Weber Genesis Platinum C. Is the manifold piece the same? Last thing I'd want is to be one of those folks Weber complained about and get the incorrect parts and damage my grill.

Do the direction that are supply do an adequate job detailing the change? I'm typically handy, but hearing of other damaging their grills makes me nervous!!

thx

If anybody is looking to convert frm LP to NG , I have a manifold and hose.....I will send free just cover shipping

I am looking for the orifice for the side burner on my converted NG to LP silver C....the side burner is not functioning properly after the conversion, it leaves heavy black marks on pots and pans, somebody suggested I need to change out the orifice...I am not sure how I will get this done.

Back