I got mine today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe C

TVWBB Member
I am now a WSM owner! My cooker arrived from Amazon in 4 days in perfect condition. I am very impressed with the workmanship. The finish is perfect , everything fits together perfect and all the parts were there. Had it together in about 5 minutes. Gads, I can't wait to cook something! Is it the weekend yet? Hope I can find some Kingsford here in the snow covered northeast. (uh-oh,did'nt think about that detail). Anyway, thanks Chris for this great website. I would not have known about the WSM if not for you. I'll post after my first cook.

I have a ECB, and was about to give up on it untill you metioned the afterburner. Can you give me the name or web site for the electric conversion? Thanks
PS I was ready to give up on smoking food when I found your site, not anymore! Keep up the good work!

Dan,

I'm not aware of an after-market product you can buy to convert an ECB or WSM to electric. I know of a guy that goes by the name of LAScott who converted his WSM to electric using the heating element from a Meco electric smoker, but he never sent me the details about how he did it.

What he did say, though, was that after trying the Minion Method for firing-up his WSM (as discussed on the Firing Up Your Weber Bullet page he tossed the electric element and went back to charcoal. The Minion Method allowed him to achieve with charcoal the long, consistent burn times that drove him to trying electric in the first place.

Regards,
Chris

[This message has been edited by Chris Allingham (edited 02-08-2001).]

Joe,
Congratulations on your new WSM! You're gonna love it! I did my first cook last weekend and can't wait to go at it again.

Two things:
First, while your WSM may have survived its experience with UPS unscathed, your going to want to check the fit of the firebox door. Chances are, it's going to need a little tweaking to fit real good. Mount it in place and check to see if there's any gaps along the top to the left and right of the knob. Also, check the left and right sides of the door to see how they fit to the side of the smoker. If there's some gaps, and there probably will be, just bend the door a little at a time to get the fit just right. Remember, you're not trying to bend a right angle in to the door - just shaping the metal for a better fit. The object is to get the best fit possible so you don't get any unwanted air into the smoker.

Second: I bought 48 pounds of Kingsford charcoal last Friday at a Home Depot store here in Rochester. If there's one by you, start there in the garden center, where they keep the gas and charcoal grills. So you don't run all over God's great green acre looking for charcoal, make a few phone calls to your local Home Depot, Walmart, Lowe's, Costco, or other large retail chain. Too, there may be smaller stores that specialize in pools, spas, and grills that may have charcoal. The Home Depot here had about three pallets of Kingsford.

Good luck, have fun, and don't let your temps spike!

Alan Bosch

The local Sam's Club Wholesale stocks Kingsford Charcoal in 2 24# packages for about $11.00.
When I checked Amazon.com for WSM I was informed that they were out of stock. You must have got the last one.

Thanks Alan,I'll check out Home Depot and the like. Yeah, about the door, mine needed tweaking a little..not a lot. Being a thin piece of metal, I guess you have to kind of expect to have to shape it a bit.

To Billy Gardner.. When I ordered my WSM from Amazon I checked the availability and it listed only one in stock. Same thing with the Weber chimney starter. So I guess I did get the last one they had. You'd think they'd stock at least two. Did you find one anywhere else? I know I called all over the place here where I live (Northest Penna),and every store said the same thing. 'Well, we've got one on order but they're not here yet.Any day now,yada,yada yada.' Waited for a week and since I've always had good service from Amazom I went with them. And they were the same price as everybody else. Good luck.

I haven't found anything yet as far as electris is concerned. What do you think of the afterburner, the gas converter?
I maybe better off just replacing my ECB with a WSM. Might be more cost efffective. Thanks for your help. <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Helvetica, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
Dan,

I'm not aware of an after-market product you can buy to convert an ECB or WSM to electric. I know of a guy that goes by the name of LAScott who converted his WSM to electric using the heating element from a Meco electric smoker, but he never sent me the details about how he did it.

What he did say, though, was that after trying the Minion Method for firing-up his WSM (as discussed on the Firing Up Your Weber Bullet page he tossed the electric element and went back to charcoal. The Minion Method allowed him to achieve with charcoal the long, consistent burn times that drove him to trying electric in the first place.

Regards,
Chris

[This message has been edited by Chris Allingham (edited 02-08-2001).]
</font> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dan,

I have no personal experience with the Afterburner, but there are several posts about it from other folks on this bulletin board. Click the Search link at the top of this page and search for "afterburner" and make sure to select "all forums". You'll find several good discussions about the pros and cons.

Regards,
Chris

Joe C.,
Yes, I located one on True-Value Hardware web site.Ordered Tuesday AM arrived yesterday PM. Not bad from Pennsylvania to Louisiana.
Cooked my 1st chicken and pork today. It turned out great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back