Kettle Cart - Build your own performer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allen Sharar

TVWBB Super Fan
I'm considering ordering the weber cart plans available at the link below. I have a 1.5 year old son the idea of keeping him away from the hot parts of the kettle sounds good. Anyone ever try building one of these?? I'm curious as to how the wood is protected from the hot parts of the grill.

I also like the brick bbq that they list. Seems like with a little mod this could be a cool outdoor pizza-style oven.

http://www.woodworkersworkshop.com/plans/index.php?cat=694

I have not. I like the idea though. Just make sure it's not to difficult to access the ash catcher. My only other consern would be air flow.

Yea, I can see how air-flow and ash access could be impacted. Maybe turn one side into a door that can be opened...

The cart plan look OK, but I REALLY like the
brick BBQ just below the cart plan.

Thanks Gary, I thought I'd seen a thread on it b4 but couldn't find it.

Bob - I thought the brick BBQ looked pretty cool also. Looks like it'd be great for grilling/searing - trying to think how it could be modified to do low/slow cooking.

Allen,

Just wondering if you did give this a shot and how easy it was. I would love to do this for my 22", but not nuts about buying plans.

Brian, I still haven't gotten around to it. Still haven't bought the plans either. One of these days....

Joe, I really like the look of that brick bbq as well... definitely unique.

Can anybody post an up-to-date to these plans? This link is dead, and I can't seem to find the plans that sound like what is described here.

Hello, I built one of these a few years ago, because I don't like the short legs on the kettles( I'm 6'). The kart is very sturdy and looks nice, but it WILL CATCH FIRE using indirect lump. I have to keep a spray bottle near by to spray the wood when it starts smoldering, which it does in warm dry weather (BE CAREFULL). The kettle bowl is very close to the wood, not good in my opinion. I just picked up a CL Performer which will be used for lump charcoal in the future. The plans are also for the older wood handled kettles, I routed the wood to allow the plastic handle to fit. My last comment is that the cart is about 60x30x48, I have not been able to find a cover to fit.

Take care,

Jamie

Originally posted by John Henderson:

Anybody know how the kettle is supported within the structure?

When I designed and built my table I used a cement board base sitting on 2x4 supports. Then I laid tiles on top. The kettle simply nests in it, flush.

kt05.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back