New Jersey > Caldwell: Hog Wild BBQ

FPScarpa

Just tried Hog Wild in Bloomfield Ave in West Caldwell. Very good pulled pork sandwiches! The best thing about the place is that the owner is very passionate about BBQ we had a nice conversation on the topic. I recomend the place and hit the Cloverleaf bar nextdoor for a great beer selection.

Hog Wild BBQ
405 Bloomfield Ave.
Caldwell, NJ 07006
http://www.hogwildnj.com/

I'd like to say nice things about this place and the owners are nice people who have a basic understanding of smoking meats. However, ribs I had here on a visit were so bad that I'd have eaten better at Chili's. Pulled pork is good but the roll may be too sweet for some tastes. Sides are just ok. I wish the food was better because this place is close for me. Not worth traveling for, sorry to say.

I would have to agree. I live about a mile away from Hog Wild. Dave (the owner) is a KCBS competitor and has done well for himself in pork and ribs but what he serves up to the customers is a little disappointing. Ribs were good but the flavours were, how can I say it, somewhat muted; not bold or even really "pork-y". Dry and a little bland. I guess when you have to pre-cook everything and hold for the evening's service this is inevitable. Mine didn't have the silverskin left on but a good friend's did. My wife loved their pulled pork and mac-and-cheese side. I don't like their brisket, and I'm a huge brisket guy (however you choose to read that description :D). He chopps up the flat and serves it that way. I actively dislike chopped brisket and have told Dave so; I wish he'd listen, dangit!

The place is really nice, they do takeout and delivery as well as full catering and are worth a visit if you're in the area--unless you're in the mood for sliced brisket. He's closed on Mondays, too. The owner puts in 60-70 hour weeks and is really passionate about Q.

Back