BBQ Liner

Neil McLean

Hi, I am new at all this so please go easy on me.

I have just ordered a Weber Q220 Plus.

I am wanting to cook the odd fried egg and onions.

I have been told by a person with a Q220 that I can use a BBQ liner/mat to cover the grill to make a flat surface.

My problem is that there is a warning on the liner website that they can not be used over direct flame.

Not having used my Q220 as yet, I really don't know if the flame actually gets as high or higher than the grill plate.

Is anyone using one of these liners?

Can they be used without problems?

If not, how do you mob cook eggs and onions on the Q220?

Sorry if this has been discussed before, I did a search and was unable to find anything.

Here is a link to the liner I am talking about.
http://www.oztion.com.au/vshops/vshops.aspx?shopid=2915

I just phoned Weber and they said it's best to use a breakfast plate and put the liner on the plate.

To allow me to still use the grill, Weber suggested a Baby Q breakfast plate as that will leave half the grill free.

I also bought the Q Tools set that fit under one of the side bits.

EDIT: I have no connection with the liner web site, all I have done is to buy a liner from them.

G'Day Neil

I am located in Melbourne and demo for Weber of a Saturday between Sept and Dec each year. I have had a Q200/220 for four or so years.
Don't tell Weber but I use a grill mat as do many of my friends who also own Q's.
It is great for grilling hamburgers, chicken, onions, vegetables, fish, prawns etc.
It works and it works well. For doing eggs get a cheap muffin tray and cut it so that you have a 4 hole tray and a 2 hole tray. Chuck a bit of oil in it and slosh it around, break the eggs into the one you want to use and put it on, close the lid it will take about 2 1/2 minutes or so to cook the eggs.
The Weber grilling pan Item # 32903/6435 fits the Q220 and works a treat for grilling a lot of different things, turn it upside down and put it on a sheet of foil and you have a pizza tray.
The best accessory to have by far is the roasting trivet Item # 93375. Put a doubled over sheet of foil on the grill the same size as the trivet and place the trivet on top now you are set up to cook indirect. You can do roasts chickens combination cooks where you sear a big thick juicy 50 mm steak and then finish it of indirect, you can cook cakes with it - you name it.

As I said the grill mat is a great accessory to have and it works - just make sure you leave a gap around the edges of about 40 mm so the fire can breathe. You can trim the mat, we trim ours and then leave one edge outside the BBQ on the side table. This makes it easy to take off when you want to change cooking methods for different meats.

The Weber premium griddle Item # 6505 is also a good toy If I had to recommend a hot plate this is the one I would recommend (Its the one I use). The handles double as feet so you lift it off the BBQ with the handles the put it on the table with just the feet of the handles on the table and serve direct from it. Great for sizzling dishes breakfasts seafood etc.

One of the good things about the Q is you are only limited by your imagination. You have purchased arguably one of the best small gas BBQs in the world.

There is an Aussie BBQ forum that has started up and needs members you may want to visit and sign up Aussie BBQ

Regards

What a bummer Phil, I firstly bought a BBQ mat and after speaking to Weber I then bought the baby Q breakfast plate.

Guess I am well stocked.

I will see what I prefer to use, however, I think that the mat is the best option if it doesn't melt?

Sorry, I thought this was an Aussie forum, anyway, I look forward to being a BBQ Gordon Ramsey ha! ha!

They tell me that I may be able to bludge a few Q220 recipes from you, is that right?

On my way to the other forum to sign on .

Regards
Neil

Back