Food Saver quick marinade device?

MKEvenson

TVWBB Wizard
I bought the device a while ago.
http://www.amazon.com/FoodSave...id=1305385156&sr=8-1

I normally brine my birds 4 hrs but last night wanted to cook after work so I didn't have the 4 hrs. I used the Food Saver on marinade mode 3x. The moisture retention of the thighs did not equal my 4 hr brine. The company claims you can achieve the same results in20 min as you can with a long brine. My experience has not been really good. Anyone else have an opinion?

I do not own a marinator, but tried one of the "normal" containers to do this.

I found out, as usual, if you're trying to save time with gadgets when making food, you lose some. Not impressed.

brining/marinating/curing takes time.

Did you allow the marinator to go through its on-off-on-off cycles until the FoodSaver turns itself off? Some people miss that and remove the hose when the FoodSaver turns off the first time.

I haven't really compared it with brined chicken but now that you mention it, I will. I usually re-seal the container until I'm ready to use the chicken, up to 30 to 60 minutes longer sometimes.

Rita

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rita Y:
Did you allow the marinator to go through its on-off-on-off cycles until the FoodSaver turns itself off? Some people miss that and remove the hose when the FoodSaver turns off the first time.

I haven't really compared it with brined chicken but now that you mention it, I will. I usually re-seal the container until I'm ready to use the chicken, up to 30 to 60 minutes longer sometimes.

Rita </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rita, yes I ran through the complete cycle 3x. It is impressive to see the chicken plump and rise in the brine as the air is evacuated. I was considering purchasing a larger container to brine my comp thighs. I usually do 15. I am now leaning towards a vacuum tumbler.
http://www.amazon.com/Eastman-...5469598&sr=8-1-spell

My only concern is the possible destruction of skin in the tumble process.

Mark

I can't say I've run meat through mine, but I love picking veggies in it.

Why do you need to speed up comp brining? I don't know how long you take to cook yours, mine take 3 hrs, which leaves 16 hrs of brine time (working back to 5 pm Friday).

If vac tumbling, remove the skin first, it doesn't brine well, and it's easy to wrap it around well trimmed thighs.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mk evenson:

Rita, yes I ran through the complete cycle 3x. It is impressive to see the chicken plump and rise in the brine as the air is evacuated. I was considering purchasing a larger container to brine my comp thighs. I usually do 15. I am now leaning towards a vacuum tumbler.
http://www.amazon.com/Eastman-...5469598&sr=8-1-spell

My only concern is the possible destruction of skin in the tumble process.

Mark </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mark,

Your concern is valid. If you run a couple of cycles on the reveo the skin can come off.

Gary

Back