Obtaining HIGH temps

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I just baught a Weber Smokey Mountain last sunday, and i did 2 slabs of prok ribs at 250 for 3 hrs...came out great.
Yesterday I put the coal grill and chamber up top under the top grill in attemp to get a temp to about 600 to sear steaks.( i use natural lump for a higher temp). After a 35 minute wait i only got to 450.
Has anyone ever achieved a temp over 600? If so, how? Thanx

Todd,

When I did the Grilling on the Weber Bullet feature for the Web site, I did not measure the cooking temperature, so I don't know how hot it got. Maybe someone will post with more details.

Just to clarify, did you add a second charcoal grate on top of the charcoal ring to get the coals right under the meat, as shown in the pictures on the Web site?

what I did was just put the charcoal grate and chamber under the top hand-grip grill. I didnt have a grill right under the coals.
I'll try that next time. Thanx

The process shown on the Web site of adding a second charcoal grate on top of the ring will bring the coals within 3-1/2 inches of the cooking grate. This should sear your steaks nicely, even though it might not register 600*F on a lid thermometer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back