1 pie crust
1/2 stick of butter
5 large onions
5 beaten eggs
1/4 cup of parsley
1 cup of heavy cream
salt
pepper

Fry onions in butter covered 10-15 min. til golden brown.
Uncover and cook 5 more min.
Bake pie crust 5 min.
In a large bowl mix onions,beaten eggs,cream, parsley, salt, and pepper. Pour into pie crust. Do not over fill.
Bake 450* 15 min. or til mixture is set.

Tony,
What you describe is called Zweiblekuchen in German. It comes from Swabia in central Germany. My Grandmother was from there and made this every fall. It is wonderful. It is made to coincide w/ the celebration of the arrival of the new wine.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by M D Baldwin:
Tony,
What you describe is called Zweiblekuchen in German. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The recipe posted above and Zwiebelkuchen (onion cake, onion pie or onion tart) are quite different.
icon_wink.gif

Ok then, I made the onion pie posted above for tonights dinner. Gotta say it was very good and a nice change from the same old things. I've been meaning to make this since Tony posted it several years ago. The only thing I will mention is the time posted above to cook/brown/caramelize the onions. I cooked them over med heat in a 12" Calphalon Non stick fry pan for about the first 25-30 min, then med low for another 15-20 min. I cooked the onions on Sunday, and placed them in the fridge to cut down on prep time after coming home from work for a quick weekday meal. I just nuked the O's some to warm back up for easy mixing with the eggs and cream. I'll be making this again, as I really liked it.

BQVUB-OnionPie003.jpg

QNDCO-OnionPie006.jpg

never heard of such a thing, looks great though Bryan, I think I'll have to give it a go ... thanks for posting

Back