Big Bullet Videos: Feedback

Shawn W

TVWBB Emerald Member
I thought I'd start a thread for feedback about the new product as shown in Chris A's fantastic videos (thanks a bunch BTW Chris, I really enjoyed them).

My $0.02:

Kudos: thermometer, new capacity, improved water pan engagement, extra handle lid, access door 'hinged' handle and size ... all fantastic!!

Concerns:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>Top and Bottom Vents
IME it's hard to get the current wsm to hold above 225F. I believe in my case cooking load, ambient temps, water in the pan and altitude all contribute. Since I added more vents to mine and switched to clay saucer instead of water I can finally smoke in the range I want to, but before it didn't want to run any hotter than 215ºF at top grate. I am concerned 50% larger water pan and meat capacity will accentuate this problem even with four hole vents instead of three (4.5 holes per damper would have been proportionate to the overall 50% increase). I'd like to see the new vents 50% - 100% larger to address my previous concern and to compensate for the new larger volumes of meat and heat sink. Vent control of temps works well, so bigger vents can only be a good thing, particularly for those of us who have struggled with low temps, but also if we want to cook hotter.
<LI>Heat shield
I think it should be clipped on or otherwise easily removeable, I am concerned it will plug easily and the bottom of the bowl can end up sitting in accumulated rain water. Perhaps it won't lead to rust but even with the enamel coating the charcoal bowl sitting in water can't be a good thing.
<LI>Strength of top grate
My top grate was easily bent, I think it will be worse on this model with current top grate design. Lets check the flex with a 25# whole boneless blade on it. I think the top grate should be strengthened. Perhaps the bottom as well.
[/list]
Minor Concern: New Door
Ya, I said I love it. But as much as I love it, it's so big I wonder if it's going to be a problem with air leaks and heat loss. What I'd love to see instead is the section cut out of the body finished like the rest of the smoker and perhaps hinged somehow and sealed with metal braid stuff like that found around the inside edge of self clean ovens.

good observations and thoughts. my thoughts are that its great as it is. keeps the cost down so maybe available to more folks. mods can be done by those that want/need them. just the fact that they came out with the bigger one should be enough.

I've given feedback in the other thread, but this seems like a good place to try and consolidate it.

The new design looks good, although I haven't been using a WSM very long and just picked up the 18 1/2" recently. I can see the value in the larger door and/or latch, and the temp gage. I would have liked to see eyelets, but to be honest, most people buying an automated type controller will most likely get them from the vendor they purchase it from.

Most of my feedback is in regards to Weber providing more accessories, the lack of tables, and even handles to the mid section. Chris mentioned in the other thread that he didn't see the value in clips, but I do, and there are many times I move my bbq after I get it going, and the clips would provide an easy way to adjust the location of the unit, if handles were also provided. I still see a value in having the clips to hold the sections together while doing so, they could prevent some stupid pet tricks like trying to move the unit by the feet with hot coals in it.

Certainly having more space will be well received by many, and that is the primary value in the unit, IMO. Good point on the top grate, but my guess is that most people apply more stress to it when they clean it then the actual weight of the meat on the grill itself. I know that is where I commonly have distorted the actual grates, speaking for myself on all of my Webers.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Alan D:
There are many times I move my bbq after I get it going, and the clips would provide an easy way to adjust the location of the unit, if handles were also provided. I still see a value in having the clips to hold the sections together while doing so, they could prevent some stupid pet tricks like trying to move the unit by the feet with hot coals in it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Not advised to move a hot cooker, clips or not, especially if using water in the pan.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
Not advised to move a hot cooker, clips or not, especially if using water in the pan. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I totally agree, but knowing it won't stop me from doing it...
icon_rolleyes.gif

I think having the pieces clipped together would work for that if done carefully. I move my kettle around quite a bit, sometimes for nothing more than to reposition it in relation to the wind blowing the smoke into the house as an example, or light at night, etc...

I can mod mine to add handles on the mid section.

I can mod mine to replace the plastic handle on the lid.

I can mod mine to add tables to the sides.

I can mod mine to create a cart to put it on.

All of these can be done, but at the same time they are all an opportunity for Weber to offer accessories and/or improve on the product as it is today, even if they were required to raise the price.

FWIW, I don't plan to use water in mine, but did this weekend as I don't have a clay plate or similar. I saw some plates made out of the same material they use for kiln shelving, over at Clay Planet. I just need to measure the size needed. I also have a Brinkman charcoal smoker that I can steal the water pan out of, and do the piedmont if desired.

I'll tell you what would work nicely is to coat the bottom of the water pan with ITC-203, it's a refactory material that is brushed on, that is used in propane forges. The 203 is for applying to steel, I have some other ITC-100, it's designed for applying to ceramic and/or other non-metal surface. The point is that Weber could probably offer an alternative solution, for folks like myself. I would buy stuff rather than fabricating some of it myself, but I am fine with DIY projects and can work both metal and wood.

There are other customers that own their products, that would probably buy them as well. Weber is good for well thought out products.

My kids got me some BBQ utensils this year, that are Weber Style. They are better quality than the older fork, brush, tongs that were sold separately. But I wish they had wood handles on them. They function as good or better, but I don't like the idea of plastic around my cooker.

In fact, it's wise not to wear any type of nylon, polyester, or other synthetic material while around a charcoal fire, that stuff goes up in flames in seconds. Just saying, cause plastic melts, even if it doesn't catch on fire. Maybe that stuff doesn't.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by David Stanton:
Alan, why would the ITC-203 coating be an improvement? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
David,

I think it would be an improvement and it is a thin layer after brushed, and it provides the ability to withstand heat up to about 2500+ degrees. The WSM can't reach that type of temps unless you ran a full time blower into the fire pot. This would create a thermal barrier causing all the heat to rise around the outside of the pan, without any possibility of burning the meat on the lower rack.

I think it would work well, but I haven't used the ITC-203 (for metal) and have only used the ITC-100.

Additionally, I've been told by smithy friends that the ITC products are safe to work with, unlike some of the other materials such as kao wool, which is dangerous to work with.

I don't know for certain the ITC-203 would be good for this purpose, but honestly can't think of a reason why it wouldn't be.

I'm going to see if there's a ceramic plate that will fit nicely inside the pan, Clay Planet in Santa Clara, CA has some plates and bowls that are able to withstand about 2000+ degrees also.

FWIW, you can drive a BBQ up to forging temps in the 2000+ degree with a blower of some type. In fact, many smiths do use hardwood charcoal to do that with...and you can do that in any ordinary BBQ. The temps will be in the coals though.

I think this new big bullet is going to be great for competitions. I will be able to use the new 22 for two big butts and two big briskets in one cooker! Then I can use one of my 18s for ribs and the other for chicken.

Back