Bacon: favorite recipe?

Gary H. NJ

TVWBB Platinum Member
Ok, I'm ready to make my own bacon finally. Does anyone have a favorite recipe? I was thinking of the basic dry cure by Ruhlman/Polcyn in Charcuterie. Or should I use the brined version here?

I like both types of cures. I tend toward dry when making savory bacon, brines when making sweet, though I use less sugar than the link recipe does. (I crush whole spices first if making a brine, and sometimes add herb sprigs. The spices I put in a fine cheesecloth bag.)

I found the brine cure slightly more forgiving when first starting out. Plus its fast (48 hrs). I've done it a few times now and each batch has been perfectly cured.

I haven't begun making flavored bacon, but I suspect the longer, more concentrated dry cure would be better for getting flavor into the belly.

One guy here spoke negatively of the brine cure because he didn't want to "add water" to his bacon. I guess it seemed too much like commercial bacon for him, or maybe he thought you were diluting the bacon flavor. But, I haven't observed much difference once it hits the pan.

Thanks gents. Will let you know results as soon as the pink salt arrives.
icon_smile.gif

Back