What to do with the Skin after smoking Bacon

Bob Hunter

TVWBB Pro
Just finished smoking 10 lbs of pork belly. I've skinned the bacon and it is sitting in an ice bath to cool off before refrigerating. This is the first time I have left the skin during the smoke and usually I just pitch it. I was wondering what kind of things can I use the skin for?

Here's some pics

after you fish it out of your soup, rinse it, cut it into strips bake it on a rack in a low oven until it gets crunchy and feed to your dog

Or you could try to cut it into squares, use a heavy pair of scissors, store in salt water in the fridge over night, dry, and deep fry. Then you can eat it yourself if it "puffs up".
Sometimes I manage to get the skin to expand, other times.- no way. I have not figured out why it works on some occasions, and not on others.

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I will cook up some baked beans this weekend and use the rind for flavoring in them.
If I had a dog I'de then make the treats as Dave suggested.

@BobC
Thanks, it's the best batch I've made so far. Still need some perfecting but it's getting there. My wife thinks it is too smokey.

I wonder how it would be finely ground and mixed into a batch of sausage?

I usually remove it prior to smoking. It's seems a waste to be slicing off half the smoke.

Nice looking Bacon Bob.

Jeff: - "I usually remove it prior to smoking. It's seems a waste to be slicing off half the smoke."

That is what i will do next bacon run.

Jeff - "I wonder how it would be finely ground and mixed into a batch of sausage?"

Well i bet it will give you Texture
icon_wink.gif
Might aswell save the membrane from the ribs and do the same.
icon_biggrin.gif

Smoking bacon is something that I'd like to try. But what is the difference between the skin and "pork rind" -- isn't it the same? In that case, I would thing that cutting up and deep frying as Geir said would work. But I also noted he said sometimes yes, sometimes no.

I tried doing a search here for "pork rind" and "pork skin" but got no hits.

Rich

For me, it goes in phases. I just finished off another 5 pounder in the smoker. Now I probably wont make another batch for 4 or 5 months at least.

Back