FoodSaver Overload

Steve Whiting

TVWBB All-Star
I am in the market for a foodsaver but I can not figure out which is the right one to buy. Each one lists so many different features I think my head is going to explode. There are so many models its worse then the George Forman grill. Generally I think that the most expensive of anything should be the best but that is not always so. can those of you that have a foodsaver offer a recommendation? My needs are probably the same as yours. Freeze raw and cooked meat and veggies.
thanks

I have a 1060 ... it's about 4 years old now.

I tried the vacuum cannisters, they haven't worked real well. I do have a universal lid to try out sometime ... but I don't need the port feature.

One feature that is really useful is the instant seal button. If you start seeing liquid go in you have the option to instant seal. The other place instant seal is nice is with bread. My mom squashed a tray of her fresh homemade buns with the vacuum ... all she had to do was use the instant seal ... oops. They don't bounce back THAT much when they come out.

Other than that, personally, I could probably live with one sized for the shorter rolls ... I don't often use the larger rolls. Shorter seal = more reliable seal too.

Steve--we currently use a model V2480 which we have had 2-3 years. It has been OK but seems to "get tired" when you seal alot, but I can't justify replacing it right now. I am looking at the Foodsavers for a family member right now. In the price range that they want to spend, it appears that the V3840 has the most features for the money. Costco has them right now for $159 possibly less $20 discount.

Amazon has a model V3835 (same thing?) for $169 with free shipping. (Owners Manual for the V3840 says "For 3800 series"--so the two models must be the same or very similar.)

I am also going to check out a model V3420 which is available at Walmart for $133.

Steve--After further research I've found out:

The model V3420 from Walmart does not appear to have the extra-wide sealing strip--which you definitely would want.

Customer reviews on the Costco model V3840 are not exactly gleaming. They say this model uses excess bag material among other things. But it does have the extra-wide sealing strip.

Heck, I'm in the same boat you are in!! Maybe someone else will chime in regarding some other models.

I picked-up a Seal-a-Meal VS107 for $40 (on sale) at Target. I've been very happy with it for the price. My needs are pretty basic, coffee, cheeses and Q, that's about it. Not heavy volume, most I've ever sealed was 6 bags of pp in one session, I'm usually a 1 - 2 bag guy.

Thanks for the info guys. I expect to use the foodsaver quite often so I want one that will last several years. I am not opposed to spending up to $200.00 if it will do just that. I have thrown away way too much meat due to freezer burn and I am sure in the long run the foodsaver will pay for itself.

And--Seal-a-Meal and Foodsaver are owned by the same parent company so I wonder if they use the same parts.

I think I am going to recommend the V2440 to my family member. It has the wider sealing strip, doesn't have all the bells and whistles for potential problems, and I think the ones that lay flat on the counter waste less bag material.
But, I will also mention the Seal-a-Meal for the money.

Back