thermometer

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I bought my first WSM last week and I plan to fire it up this weekend with a fryer and a canned ham (let us not talk about the ham because I am just going to do it no matter what anyone thinks and that is that and use it for sandwich spread and beans and rice).

Does anyone have any experience with the New Braunfels thermometer they sell at Walmart and Home Depot for about 18 bucks. I have a Polder I have been using with roasts in the oven but I feel a dial would work better for this purpose.

Best Wishes,
Steve

Hi,

No personal experience, but I've heard they can be a little sketchy. I think you need to spend in the $30-40 range to get a good quality dial thermometer. The source I've used is Allied Kenco. You can also find them at industrial suppliers like Graingers and at BBQ stores on the Web.

Regards,
Chris

Thanks Chris - I had read your comments before and I have a printout of the Allied thermometers.

Can these be re-calibrated and can I just stick the stem in the vent or do I need a special set-up (I am not a big fan at this point of using a drill).

Thanks again,
NJ Steve (six inches of snow last night!!)

The Trend thermometers sold by Allied Kenco can be recalibrated by adjusting a nut on the back of the dial. This should be the case for any good quality thermometer. You can insert it through the lid vent as I've done for four years now. I fashioned a little spacer that holds it in place and keeps it from blocking the vent hole too much. You can see this on the Measuring Temperature In The Weber Bullet page.

Regards,
Chris

Thanks Chris!

I placed my order, they were out of stock but they will take care of me I am sure.

Best Wishes,
Steve

Steve, I have an NBBD with the NB thermometer and it is only 1* off in the boiling water test. However, I think I was lucky. I have discussed the NB thermometer with other NBBD owners and they have returned the NB thermometer up to 4 times and still didn't have one that was accurate. They gave up and either purchased a Trend from A-K or a polder type.

Good luck with your new WSM. You'll be very happy with it.

Brian

Thanks to both Chris and Brian,

I called Allied and placed my order, I must say 8.75 for shipping seems a little high but what the heck. The funny part is my father was the sales manager for a big company that makes these things and I could have got one for a lot less twenty years ago?.

As for Polder - I think they are the best thing since sliced bread for eye of the round (135 internal) in the oven but I feel a dial is the way to go for this application.

Best Wishes,
Steve

Hey NJ Steve!!

Sounds like you are well on your way to WSM heaven!!

I do have one question though.......why would you want a dial thermo??? Do you know what your temps are at each grill level? Do you know what your meat temps are???

Using a dial will only give you the lid temp......that could be anywhere from 10-50? higher than the top level! How do you know what your bottom level is? That to me is a little dangerous for someone who is just getting started!

I can see using one once you have mapped out your smoker and you have an idea, but that takes many months of cooking before you will know that....especially with a new smoker....it goes through many changes before it is seasoned!

Remember, every time you lift that lid...add 15 minutes onto your cooking time.

I use my Polder for every temp taken.....haven't used a dial in 10 years.

Just my pennies worth...

Have fun!!

Stogie

Stogie!

Many Thanks! - I will most certainly use my Polder with large pieces of meat but my goal this summer is chicken and ribs (oh and canned hams), that is why I think the dial will work best. I have training as a chef and I am well aware of temp considerations and you are most correct. I tell you what I am going to do, I am going to use both the Polder with a potato and the dial as well, that is the way to go for the new boy on the block.

One last question, can I skin chicken before smoking as I have done that for many years cooking them every other way?.

Many thanks for your help!.

Best Wishes,
Steve

Hi Steve!

No, I wouldn't skin before! Chicken will dry out much too easily!

Keep it on and then discard. Matter of fact, be sure to rub underneath the skin and then replace it to keep moist!

Stogie

I bought one of the Trend Thermometers from the Barbeque Store due to a suggestion on this website....have been very happy with it...

BTW, I tried "smoking" a rack of ribs in my Weber kettle grill without a thermometer last weekend..it came out looking like a Flintstones saw...pretty tempered and hard...I'm sure the major factor was poor control of the temperature...

I ordered another Trend thermometer for the grill shortly thereafter..

Robert
<><

Allied Kenco called Monday and my thermometer which was going to ship last week will not be available for several weeks?. Chris, thanks for the advice and I went into Grainger's site but "no joy". Robert, do you feel the stem is long enough from the barbecue store as it looks like three inches and I plan to put this thru the top vent. Any advice from anyone is appreciated.

Best Wishes,
Steve

Well my thermometer from Allied Kenco was delivered about a week ago - any advice regarding installation is of course greatly appreciated. I must add it is a really nice thermometer (3 inch dial with the 6 inch stem).

Best Wishes to all,
Steve

Steve,

I will be posting a new topic on the Web site in a couple of days regarding mounting a thermometer in the WSM. Just hold tight!

Regards,
Chris

Hey Chris:

I don't suppose I should comment on this mod - being a company guy, but WOW! As a private citizen I have to say that you did a great job showing how to do it, and the finished result was a knockout.

The Bullet with the 2 thermometers was beautiful. No, maybe he didn't "need" 2 thermometers - but then again we don't really "need" Lazy Boys with the massage option and a built-in-the arm cooler either.

Great, great job!

Weber Dave

Thanks Chris! - Most excellent!

One question, should I send my six inch stem back and get a four inch one?.

Many thanks,
Steve

Hi,

6" will work, but you may have to pay attention to how you position meat so the thermometer doesn't touch. I switched to a 4" stem, but I've got friends still using 6" with no problems.

Regards,
Chris

Thanks again Chris, do you have a twin sister who is not married?.

I sent the 6 inch back for a 4 inch model, what the heck - "any job worth doing is worth doing right".

Best Wishes,
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back